turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3-20-12 Killin'

Started by ccleroy, March 30, 2012, 10:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccleroy

Started out this AM with a hoot and this bird hammers 125 yards in a pond to my right and 2 other birds 400 yards from him to my left, I head to the closer bird and get set up within 100 yards of him, he gobbled 25-30 times on the limb and I hear his hens start up...I immediately throw out some tree yelps and he cuts me off, I know the hens are closer to him so they will cut me off from the game no doubt....Meanwhile the 2 birds roosted together are hammering making their way to me so I spin on the tree in case the get there first. They get within 80 yards and lockup, I hear hens pitch down then the gobbler behind me and I sit to see what is about to unfold, sure enough the hens leave the hardwoods and head straight to the 2 strutters in front of me, I send out a few yelps off my Billy Buice trumpet and sure enough the lone longbeard is still behind me all alone so I spin once again back to him.......It takes all of 5 minutes of some more subtle trumpet work for him to strut to 30 yards in the hardwoods to me. Looking at him through that red dot was something cool too. I dropped the hammer and walked out happy
Well Fellas I have always been the one to down talk red dot sights and the likes on turkey hunting rigs, always saying I mean really do you need that to kill a turkey? No you do not, but it dang sure is the cats  for me, I really never understood the fascination with them until I put one on my rig earlier this week. They might not be for everyone but they dang sure have their place on my rig.

17lbs 1 1/8th needle hooks and 10 incher

chatterbox

Congrats Ricky! Sounds like an awsome hunt! Glad that Burris is working for you! :icon_thumright:

ccleroy

Dang right, A big shout out to SKFooter for hooking me up with it, I love it.

neal

Congrats!!!!

Yep I'm hooked on the red dot as well I put a speedbead on one of mine SBEII's now I have 4 of them, best sight I've ever used.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

MiamiE

Congrats! Question, is that the speed stock from SpeedFeed? I'm thinking of getting one for my 870.

bangbird

Dan Mallia

dawgfrombama

Hognutz

Way to go!! Nice stinkin' gobbler, my friend.. Congrats.. I am a red dot lover, as well. I favor Aimpoint, but any quality red dot will suffice.. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

JVA54

savduck

That's an awesome bird.....and a snazzy trumpet lanyard. Congrats....looking forward to meeting you this weekend.
Georgia Boy

ccleroy

Quote from: savduck on March 30, 2012, 12:30:46 PM
That's an awesome bird.....and a snazzy trumpet lanyard. Congrats....looking forward to meeting you this weekend.

Just for you Del, that lanyard fits the Buice like a glove Son! See you tommorrow!

spur collector

Congrats on a fine trophy.

Clay

Congrats!  Excellent picture with your prize!

Roostem33

Congrats on the great looking bird!!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)