Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does pumps shoot harder than autos? Heres why!!

Started by sawtooth, March 29, 2012, 09:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawtooth

The reason I'm asking is that I just purchased a new Benelli M2 and a new Ithaca Turkey Slayer both in 20 gauge and with 24" barrels.  My friend and I were shooting fed's HW 3" #7's for testing at a distance of 30 yards at a piece of thick heavy ply wood that was 4ft tall x 3ft wide.  For targets we were testing large paper sheets taped to the board.  As we begin to shoot both guns we noticed the ply wood would shake more and in many cases fall over using the Ithaca where the M2 seemed to move it MUCH less.  I have read before there is indeed a very slight loss with autos but never imagined you could see such a difference.  Does this seem right?   What else could be different?  Both guns using .575 tubes and same ammo.  If there is this much difference then makes me want a pump again.   

rtsj

I can't believe it would be much if at all noticable. I really would like to hear some more input on this. 

Roy

BOFF

I would say only on the shoulder.  :angel9:

Was the pattern tighter on the 37?

God Bless,
David B.

sawtooth

Quote from: BOFF on March 29, 2012, 09:50:28 PM
I would say only on the shoulder.  :angel9:

God Bless,
David B.

It was close with both guns.  Now the hevi shot 13 #6 were definitly tighter with Benelli.  Howevere fed hw were very close.   Sure wish I had a chronograph. 

sawtooth

If I could find to identical books then I may see a difference in penetration.  Gonna see what I can come up with for testing.   

Hookhunter

I cant imagine there would be that much difference But I would be very interested in seeing the results of any testing you do. I shoot pumps but have been looking for an auto too toy with, this may very well change my mind

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

BOFF

Is the Benelli back bored? Seems like if the two barrels of the 37 and M2 are not the same bore, or forcing cone lengthened, velocity might be different?

God Bless,
David B.

sawtooth

Quote from: BOFF on March 30, 2012, 12:02:14 PM
Is the Benelli back bored? Seems like if the two barrels of the 37 and M2 are not the same bore, or forcing cone lengthened, velocity might be different?

God Bless,
David B.
Good point but I have no idea.  Maybe someone else will chime in.

mudhen

Don't know, but it sure seems like it.

I see the same thing at the boards, my BPS knocks the boards over, and my gas guns, while patterning fine, don't even make the board flinch.

I also agree about the shoulder thing, pumps kick more for me....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Rapscallion Vermilion

If the two gun/barrel/choke combinations gave very different shot strings, that might give a different impression in how hard the board was hit.  I don't think it would make much difference to the turkey though.

devin4484

yes they do.  Just like bolt actions and single shot (rifles and shotguns) shoot harder and kick harder than pumps and autos.

HuntSource

Sorry if I ruffle feathers here. However, folks who perceive that pumps shoot significantly "harder" than autoloaders either don't own or don't routinely use a chronograph. I've run thousands of loads from hundreds of guns over my chronographs. I've found that pumps just don't meaningfully push shot charges faster than autoloaders.

Yeah, physics mandates some gas is diverted to work the action rather than push the charge with autoloaders. However, IME, it's far less than the shot-to-shot standard deviation of the same load in the same gun, which means that it isn't much.

budtripp

Quote from: HuntSource on March 30, 2012, 10:24:43 PM
Sorry if I ruffle feathers here. However, folks who perceive that pumps shoot significantly "harder" than autoloaders either don't own or don't routinely use a chronograph. I've run thousands of loads from hundreds of guns over my chronographs. I've found that pumps just don't meaningfully push shot charges faster than autoloaders.

Yeah, physics mandates some gas is diverted to work the action rather than push the charge with autoloaders. However, IME, it's far less than the shot-to-shot standard deviation of the same load in the same gun, which means that it isn't much.

WyoHunter

Quote from: BOFF on March 29, 2012, 09:50:28 PM
I would say only on the shoulder.  :angel9:

God Bless,
David B.
That would be my guess too!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

sawtooth

It was tighter with benelli hevi 13#6 but about same with fed he #7.