OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What would you do? Update

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 29, 2012, 07:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

LTH is Saturday and the group I have seen, was not there everytime my buddy drove by this week, but he does go by early.  Today, he saw a flock .5 miles away on a different field.  Here is my plan, scout tomorrow AM from dark to 7:15am or head down there at 6 pm and stay until dark (7:30).  When would you scout tomorrow?  The land is 20 miles away so I only want to make the trip once tomorrow.

guesswho

I'd go in the am, get about 1/2 between the two spots they have been seen in, and listen.  I wouldn't do any walking around right n ow if I was hunting Saturday.  I'd do my scouting with my ears and from the road.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

wisconsinteacher

I should have mentioned, I can see and listen to these two spots from the road.  I will not be walking in these areas.  If I go in the morning, I would only be able to listen to them for 30 minutes max then head to work.

guesswho

I'd still go in the am to try and get an idea of which way they want to head after flydown if time permits .  You could scout pm on Saturday.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

wisconsinteacher

Here is a very crude map of the land.  The black is where birds have been seen and the red is where I have heard birds on the limb.  The field with the most black is where the birds were last weekend on the two days I scouted.  Today they were on the north side of the woods.  Saturday, they were on the field later (7:30-10:30) Sunday they were there at 6:45 until 9.  On Sunday, there were two toms north of the lower field that joined the flock.  You could hear them getting closer as they walked an gobbled.  Total for Sunday was 4 toms, 5 jakes, and 8 hens.  I was planning on starting on the lower field Saturday.

guesswho

Good luck.  I hope mtheres only three toms left after Saturday.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

runngun

Go in the morning and listen!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Neill_Prater

It doesn't really matter. Whichever place you go Saturday, they will be in the other field.  ;) At least that is the way it generally works for me!

Clay

Based on the info provided, I think you'd be right to start in the lower field!  Good luck!

wisconsinteacher

Well we went for a ride tonight and found the flock.  They were in the small field where I have seen them the most.  From there, they went west across the black top road into a stubble corn field.  On the back end of the field is a small stand of big pines and the biggest river in the area.  The river is 70-100 yards wide.  I hope they are on my side in the morning.  I am going to set up in the stubble corn field on top of the highest ridge 150 yards away from the trees with 2 hens and Jake Moble.  There were 2 toms and 8-10 hens.  I don't plan on calling a lot until I can see the birds or know they are on the ground.  I stayed until dark, but could not hear them fly up or get one to gobble.

Turkeyslayer 101

Be sharp but don't cut yourself!

HARDCORE

Best of luck  to you, looking forward to the pics. 

HC