OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Piled up another nice tom.....

Started by Reloader, March 28, 2012, 11:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

I decided to set up in an area that's loaded with sign and do a little blind calling.  I put a hen decoy out in a clearing and eased off about 30yds or so and settled in by a pine.  Everything was quiet, but I knew there had to be birds somewhere around the area.  I threw out some sweet talk, but never got an answer.  After a while my rear end started getting a bit numb, so I eased over to my side and almost got too comfy.  I caught some movement about 60-70yds out and out pops a nice big tom from the brush. He slipped in quiet as a church mouse looking for that sweet talking hen and as soon as he spotted ole Peggy Sue all by her lonesome, he blew into full strut and started the dance.  After a bit, he'd gotten a touch closer, but still hadn't committed just yet.  I hit him with a few soft notes and about that time a soft breeze spun Ole Peggy Sue around facing his direction. She must have winked at him as well, cause he sure did put on the side stepping.  That rascal still hadn't gobbled,  he spit and drummed a bit, but I couldn't get him to fire off.  I let him dance around the decoy and every time his fan covered his head I'd move into position.  Finally, I'd watched long enough, so I showered down on him trying one last time to get a gobble.  No dice, he was being a stubborn old coot.  When he got his head right, I touched one off and laid the old rascal to rest.

Turned out to be a nice tom, 1-1/4" hooks, 8-5/8" beard, and 21 lbs:

Have a good one,

loder

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Reloader on March 28, 2012, 11:39:03 PMShe must have winked at him as well, cause he sure did put on the side stepping.
Apparently she did!!! :icon_thumright:
Congrats on a nice gobbler!! :icon_thumright:

ceejay

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

nctrkyhntr

JVA54

Gold Spur

Congrats Ronny, that's a dandy bird!  :you_rock:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

pullit

You and Peggy Sue are sure working them over this year. I think you might want to give her a break and send her to TN for a little R&R.... ;D Our season opens this weekend, and if she works as good for me as she does for you, I will have my limit by the next weekend.. :TooFunny:

Congrats to you on dropping the hammer on a lock jaw bird.

mikejd

Nice job. Great bird. I hate them sneaky ones.

Hognutz

Nice gobbler!! Those spurs could put an eye out!! Congrats..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

REBELYELL

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Reloader

Thanks fellas!!

John, You know you need to just go ahead and buy one ;D  Peggy Sue is taken, so you'll have to come up with another good name :D