Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

I do, but help me when I don't...? ~ Devotion 3/28/12

Started by lightsoutcalls, March 28, 2012, 10:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Do you ever feel like a verse or life lesson is chasing you?  Have you ever heard a verse used, for instance in a radio program or sermon, then get the same verse in an email?  Since I don't believe in coincidences, when that happens, I have to believe that God is speaking directly to me.  That is the case with today's devotion. 
   Let's take a look at the story that is likely a familiar one.  Again, we will be focussing on a story within a story today.

Mark 9:14-29

New Living Translation (NLT)

Jesus Heals a Demon-Possessed Boy

14 When they returned to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd surrounding them, and some teachers of religious law were arguing with them. 15 When the crowd saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with awe, and they ran to greet him.

16 "What is all this arguing about?" Jesus asked.

17 One of the men in the crowd spoke up and said, "Teacher, I brought my son so you could heal him. He is possessed by an evil spirit that won't let him talk. 18 And whenever this spirit seizes him, it throws him violently to the ground. Then he foams at the mouth and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid.[a] So I asked your disciples to cast out the evil spirit, but they couldn't do it."

19 Jesus said to them, "You faithless people! How long must I be with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring the boy to me."

20 So they brought the boy. But when the evil spirit saw Jesus, it threw the child into a violent convulsion, and he fell to the ground, writhing and foaming at the mouth.

21 "How long has this been happening?" Jesus asked the boy's father.

He replied, "Since he was a little boy. 22 The spirit often throws him into the fire or into water, trying to kill him. Have mercy on us and help us, if you can."

23 "What do you mean, 'If I can'?" Jesus asked. "Anything is possible if a person believes."

24 The father instantly cried out, "I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!"

25 When Jesus saw that the crowd of onlookers was growing, he rebuked the evil[c] spirit. "Listen, you spirit that makes this boy unable to hear and speak," he said. "I command you to come out of this child and never enter him again!"

26 Then the spirit screamed and threw the boy into another violent convulsion and left him. The boy appeared to be dead. A murmur ran through the crowd as people said, "He's dead." 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and helped him to his feet, and he stood up.

I know that was a fairly long read, but let's focus on the verses in blue, verse 22b- 24, especially on verse 24.
Have mercy on us and help us, if you can."

23 "What do you mean, 'If I can'?" Jesus asked. "Anything is possible if a person believes."

24 The father instantly cried out, "I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!"

Anyone else ever read that last verse and just go - "huh?"  Wait a second, you said you believe, but in the next breath you basically are saying help me when I don't believe?  Another insight into my brain, here - When I read that verse, I hear the sound of a phonograph needle ripping across a record...
   Although we can question what this guy was talking about, we experience it more frequently in our own lives than we would like to admit.  Think about it.  Many of us can express verbally that we know Christ.  We can share with people about the miracles of the Bible.  We can likely come up with a few personal experiences where God has provided for us or we have seen/heard of people we know being healed or overcoming great odds.  When faced with the next trial or difficult situation, we still have that knowledge of God's track record.  We know that He CAN and HAS done miracles... but this is now... this is me... this problem looks like there is no way out...  BINGO!!! 

"I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!"

This man's son was thrown around like a rag doll by demons.  He was thrown in the fire.  He was thrown in the water and almost drown.  Satan had it out for this kid.  The man had sought help everywhere he knew to go.  Nobody had been able to give the boy, or the man relief from the intense, daily struggles... for years.  This issue was very personal.  The man likely couldn't carry out his normal everyday routines for having to watch out for his son... He was fighting for his sanity... for his very life. 
   When did change occur? Healing came only when the man had exhausted all of his own efforts and resources.  Change came when he recognized - there is nothing that I can do in and of myself.  Resolution to years of torment and conflict came when the man, out of desparation cried out:

"Have mercy on us and help us, if you can."

Are you desparate about something in your life? Have you struggled with a personal issue, a financial issue, a spiritual issue, a relational issue? 
   Take some time to think about those times and places in your life where God has provided.  Think about those times when someone you know has received Divine, miraculous intervention...  God hasn't changed.  His power and his mercies are still the same.  Take Jesus at His word.
"Anything is possible if a person believes."
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Runnin Gunner

Amen!  This was right on target and right on time for me.  Thank you for your obedience.

God bless,
For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  (1 Corinthians 2:2)

BOFF

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)