OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

rit dye

Started by TN-Hunter, March 27, 2012, 09:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN-Hunter

Has anyone ever used rit dye to dye maple wood? Just wondering how it will work.Thanks.

lightsoutcalls

I use Trans-Tint dye.  It is available at numerous places online.  I buy from Woodcraft.  You get a little bottle for just under $20, but it will be enough for years of use unless you build a lot of dyed calls.  They have a fair selection of colors.  I mix the dye with denatured alcohol and prefer to dip my pots as opposed to rubbing the dye on.  The color will absorb more into end grain than it does in face grain.  It also will highlight any sanding scratches, so be sure to sand to at least 400 grit and remove all scratches.  I like to do about 4 coats minimum for good color consistency.  The color will darken a bit with each successive coat.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Gobblerstopper

What Wendall said. I've had good luck with it also.

I finish right over the due because I was told the dye would fade over time if not. Something about the effect of UV rays.

I have a box of rit dye at the house that I never tried.

TN-Hunter

Thanks for the help, I will try some Trans-Tint dye.

Cut*N*Run

I've used both. The trans tint seeps into the wood much better. I still use black RIT as a base dye and then follow with coats of trans tint.