turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Montana Scouting Photos

Started by hobbes, March 27, 2012, 07:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

I finally was able to get out and do some scouting in Eastern MT.  It didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but its the first time I've been in the region.  I did not see or hear a single bird.  I saw some good looking country and some not so good.  One day was not enough to cover the area even by truck.  I know there are birds there somewhere.  I've been told that the last 2 or 3 hatches have been down because of the wet/cold springs so the population in that area is down.  By the time I made it back home to Helena, I had driven 850 miles.  There are birds closer to Helena than Eastern MT but most of it is private.  I'm not sure I should put effort into more than one region of the state this year, so I'll probably stick to this area.  I'll probably get to go on one more scouting trip on the 6th and 7th if the weather is good.  I'll find them eventually.

We started off here in some good looking country but didn't hear a peep.  I still think it has potential.

Most of the land past the bottom of this ridge is private in this photo:

The whole crew:

Still in some good looking country:

Getting into some marginal looking country.  The area over the ridge has burned in the last few years.  The trees are gone.

Prairie Dogs.  The country past this started looking good again

I had to turn back from our route because the road went up a hill that was too rutted and wet for me to risk it
This was on the way back through the country that looked marginal

At this point we drove back to the cabin to eat lunch and pack up.

After sitting around the cabin for an hour or so, we drove another loop through the area to see additional country.  Some of it didn't look like turkey country:

Some of it looked more promising:

a-j calls

Beautiful country, your blessed to live there.

spaightlabs

I anyone can find 'em it'll be you and Isaac!

marshboy

Hobbes,
I'm assuming from the sign on the cabin you were in the Custer National Forest near Ashland?
The biologist I've spoke with from that area has said the same, the last few hatches have been bad.
Good luck,
Greg

hobbes

Yes...Custer and my info comes from quotes I've read from FWP so the same rerource

catdaddy

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 27, 2012, 08:34:57 PM
I anyone can find 'em it'll be you and Isaac!

That's what I'm saying

870FaceLift

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.  Good luck out there, too.
Pass it on...

Shellwaster

I second the thanks for sharing. Love looking at photos such as these.  Best of luck out there with the birds.

neal

Pics are so great I almost forgot about turkeys!!

Good luck!!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Woodsman4God

Your pics are always great to look at, thanks for sharing and good luck

JVA54

Great pic's, good luck this year!!

Hawkfarm

I really enjoyed your pictures.   Beautiful country.  Hope you locate some birds.

gotcha

Cool pics!I actually had that cabin rented last spring for a hunt but got tied up over in Wy/SD and never made it.I did talk with some guys at the FS campground there 5-6 years back and they were killing a few birds.For those that are not aware the FS has a great program to rent recreational cabins all across the country.

Good luck finding some huntable birds Hobbes.

HARDCORE

Great pictures hobbes and good luck to you and your hunting buddies this spring.

HC

RutnNStrutn

Beautiful country and great pics as always Hobbes!! I love the way you always include your family in your outdoor ventures! :icon_thumright:  Best of luck to you bro!! :anim_25: