OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scouting in Dense Fog

Started by bbcoach, March 27, 2012, 10:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Need some opinions on scouting in dense fog.  A friend of mine and I went out at dawn Saturday morning to do some pre season scouting.  The fog was so thick you couldn't see 250 yards in any direction.  We went to several places we have seen, heard and killed turkeys before but only heard two gobbles at very long distance and only saw one bird.  Listened for flydown cackles and tree yelps but nothing.  Fog didn't break until about 9:30 because of the overcast.
Opinions 1. No birds in the areas or 2. Tight beaked because of limited visibility??

gobblezilla

I would guess Tight lipped. Probably the same for why you didn't hear the flydown. Most times they won't come outta that tree until they can be sure the coast is clear!

jakebird

Yeah, i agree. I've seen em sit in the tree good and late when the weather is bad and yes, in dense fog. Just kind of kills their mood. One of the best times i've found is just when the weather breaks, the fog lifts or the sun peeks out after a shower.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

TennLongspur

My guess is that they weren't doing much because of the fog. I hunted once a couple years ago and the fog was so thick at daybreak you could barely see 30 yards. The woods were very still and very silent. The fog didn't break until about 10:30, but when it did, they suddenly started hammering.
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

budtripp

My guess is tight lipped birds. I experienced this last week scouting when it was foggy. I was in areas that i know hold birds but heard nothing.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: TennLongspur on March 27, 2012, 03:12:05 PM
My guess is that they weren't doing much because of the fog. I hunted once a couple years ago and the fog was so thick at daybreak you could barely see 30 yards. The woods were very still and very silent. The fog didn't break until about 10:30, but when it did, they suddenly started hammering.

Yep. Seen it blow up once the fog lifts. Have also heard em gobble their brains out in fog thicker than pea soup but that's not the norm