Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need some advice on a new 20 ga project for my dad..

Started by jyoung, March 27, 2012, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jyoung

:help:
Ok you 20 ga guru's... I am defiantly out of my comfort zone here so I'm all ears! My dad brought a Charles Daily 20 ga a couple years ago for a steal and it has been sitting in the gun safe ever since.  He is getting a little older and does not want to deal with the recoil of a 12 ga so he asked me what I thought about him setting this gun up for turkey hunting.  We need a good choke/shell combo and most probably optics.  ok, what y'all got in mind?...

Thanks in advance!!
Jonathan
Jonathan Young

savduck

My buddy has a CD auto youth model. We shot it with some of my remington chokes. It LOVED the truglo SSX 550 with Hevi 13 7s. The truglo also shot the federal 7s very well.

My buddy ordered some Hevi 7s, and the place was backordered so he picked up some Hevi 5s. He killed one today at 30 yards and sent me a picture. it ate the gobblers head up.

Georgia Boy

jyoung

Thanks slickyboyboo!

I think we may try the IC with Nitros combo!  I personally shoot Nitros and have NEVER had any problem out of them other than maybe my bird not flopping as much or at all! LOL!  I just don't need to overlook the overall purpose of him wanting to switch to the 20 GA, which is to reduce recoil.  And Nitro's aint really known for much reduction in the recoil area!

Jonathan.
Jonathan Young

jtharpe

the feds seem to have more recoil in my encore than the nitros do, thought is was just me but a buddy of mine said the same thing about it. dont get me wrong it is not close to my 870 12 gauge.