turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge lead numbers?

Started by Trevor2, March 26, 2012, 08:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

What are yall striving for numbers wise with lead from your twenties?
Strutstopper

gobb-lemon

If i can keep it in the 120s and above (in a 10")im happy. Browning Sliver with I.C. .555 OR .560 H-13 #6.
You will get that shell that is unlike the others and run low!???

Sorry Trevor i DID NOT read all the way through didnt see the Lead part......I have not shot lead in 5 years in a 20ga....    SORRY  .....       H-13  I keep a average of 140s

Chris Scott

sawtooth

Well i wouldn't shoot anything smaller than #6's and not sure i would try that past 35yds in a 20 gauge.  Why are you shooting lead?  Your really handicapping yourself especially in a 20 gauge.  Not saying it won't work because it will but your sure leaving alot on the table with it.

Trevor2

Quote from: gobb-lemon on March 26, 2012, 09:09:26 PM
If i can keep it in the 120s and above (in a 10")im happy. Browning Sliver with I.C. .555 OR .560 H-13 #6.

Sorry Trevor i DID NOT read all the way through didnt see the Lead part......I have not shot lead in 5 years in a 20ga....    SORRY  .....       H-13  I keep a average of 140s

Chris Scott
From tn? I haven't got any hevi yet for the gf 20 ga and the shells I have fir it so far are putting 82 at 40 so I'll keep her to 30 for now.
Strutstopper

sawtooth

yep she will kill them all day long at that range.  However, once you go to the newer stuff your gun will shoot like an old 12 gauge on lead.   :z-guntootsmiley:

R AJ

You should still find the distance that you get from 80-100 in a 10" circle using whatever lead load you desire. As for handicapping yourself by only using lead,
that would only be if you are shooting at extreme distances. If most of your shots are 30 yards and under there is no real need for the hevi stuff.

I currently carry a SxS 20 with a Win supreme #6 and a Fed HW #7 in the other barrel. Got em covered and just need to find another cooperative turkey.

Trevor2

Quote from: gobb-lemon on March 26, 2012, 09:57:16 PM
Quote from: Trevor2 on March 26, 2012, 09:31:21 PM

Chris Scott
Thought that was you lol
From tn? I haven't got any hevi yet for the gf 20 ga and the shells I have fir it so far are putting 82 at 40 so I'll keep her to 30 for now.

just down the road from you (from Tiger country) lol
Strutstopper

Trevor2

Quote from: gobb-lemon on March 26, 2012, 10:20:43 PM
Quote from: Trevor2 on March 26, 2012, 10:13:01 PM
Quote from: gobb-lemon on March 26, 2012, 09:57:16 PM
Quote from: Trevor2 on March 26, 2012, 09:31:21 PM

Chris Scott

My wife shoots the 20ga ALOT and i do also just testing....MY next move is getting a 20 myself to hunt with sometime just not found what i would like yet >>>>>Browning Gold<<<<<8-)

Ya rooster was telling she was shooting for indiancreek that's pretty awesome man.
Strutstopper

Michigander

Quote from: sawtooth on March 26, 2012, 09:10:16 PM
Well i wouldn't shoot anything smaller than #6's and not sure i would try that past 35yds in a 20 gauge.  Why are you shooting lead?  Your really handicapping yourself especially in a 20 gauge.  Not saying it won't work because it will but your sure leaving alot on the table with it.

I personally don't see it as that big of a handicap. I mean realisticly speaking, most toms are shot between 20 and 35 yards anyway.

sawtooth

I agree but depends we're your hunting and how skittish the birds are.  I've hunted in many states and different areas within each state.  Go to SE Nebraska and wear blue jeans even around huge fields they walk up to you at 20-30 yards.  Then go to independence Virginia and the birds just instantly fly at the thought of seeing something unusual.  So really it depends on your birds and your terrain but overall I agree 30 yards will be a good average range.

Tom Foolery

I shot my little 20 tonight and at 42yds I was in the mid to high 50's with Win 3" 1.25oz #5's.  I think 35yds would top mine out with lead.

sawtooth

That's amazing the difference in lead and hevi.  My 20 ga. gun does 75-90 at 50 yards with #6 hevi13

Tom Foolery

At the same 42yds mine went 136 with Hevi13 #6's. 

I would like to try some lead 6's, but honestly I would be wasting money that could be going towards Hevishot.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: sawtooth on March 28, 2012, 08:40:05 PM
I agree but depends we're your hunting and how skittish the birds are.  I've hunted in many states and different areas within each state.  Go to SE Nebraska and wear blue jeans even around huge fields they walk up to you at 20-30 yards.  Then go to independence Virginia and the birds just instantly fly at the thought of seeing something unusual.  So really it depends on your birds and your terrain but overall I agree 30 yards will be a good average range.

Wow what a small world. I hunt there some

sawtooth

Then you know what I mean as from there through Galax the birds are very wary and fly even if they think they see something.   Those birds expect the hen to come to them more than most too.  A good challenging hunt though. :)