turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rio Hunt Box Call

Started by Austy, March 26, 2012, 05:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austy

I finished up this box call yesterday for myself to take along next month on a Texas, Rio Grande Turkey Hunt.  All of the woods for this call were cut locally here in Carbon County, PA.  The lid is Black Walnut with 1/8" Hickory inlays the length of the lid to give it some color.  The box itself has Cherry End blocks and base which are all one piece with Beechnut Blades.  It's a true PA Turkey call!!  I added some wood burning to the blades and lid of the call to give it a personal touch.  I am no artist like some of you fellas on here but I guess practice makes perfect, or at least that's what they tell me :)    I decided to put a couple of Oak leaves with Acorns on the blades of the call.  I am hoping that I can get one of those Texas Rio Long Beards to come on in for a taste of one of these PA Acorns.  The box itself is 6.25" long X 1.5" wide X 1.875" tall to the top of the lid.  The Lid is 9.5" long.  I put 3 coats of Tru Oil on the box for a finish and then hit it with 0000 steel wool to take the shine off the box.  The last thing I want is for this box to shine in the turkey woods other then how it sounds!!  Both blades of the call ended up sounding great and with a rubber band around the call it makes a pretty nice gobble!!  Thanks for the look, comments welcome!!

barry

WillowRidgeCalls

Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

VanHelden Game Calls

That a darn nice looking call.  Don't sell yourself short on your artistic abilities, we all have our own style and that feather is darn nice :icon_thumright:

Spring Creek Calls

Very nice call and good luck with the Rio's!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

superx2

glennz

Wow! That is beautiful! What kind of sound are you getting from it?

cannonball

Austy

Even though I've been turkey hunting for over 36 years I was never really any good at describing the sound of a call, but I'll try.  First off I'm right handed so I primarily work with the right blade of the call even thought it is a two sided call, not that I can't work the left side of the call in a pinch.  The right side of the call has a nice crisp start to the yelp with a nice raspy roll over.  To tune the left side of the box I took the lid off and put it on the other end of the call initially for tuning so that I could work it right handed.  The left side of the box I would describe as having just a little higher pitch at the start of the yelp with a little more coarse back end as opposed to the right side.  There are definitely 2 distinctly different hens in this call :).  I am extremely happy with the way both blades of this call finished up for sound.  This call sounded good right from the start but I thought that I could get it to sound a little better, and it does!!  With a rubber band wrapped around the handle end of the call just enough to keep a little down pressure on the lid of the call this box even makes a pretty nice gobble, just in case I need it!!  Thanks for the look and keep up the fantastic work!!!!!!!

bcc2011

love the detail keep up the great work looking good
Brother Custom Calls

TREEDOG

Thats is fine looking call!  :drool:

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

dreis3

Looks good Austy! Love the feather! Can't wait to see the rest of em... I'll stop over sometime this week to run it...
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com