turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Swarm .555

Started by CB on the run, February 24, 2011, 12:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB on the run

I took my Swarm .555 with me to the gunsmith today.  He miced it and it was actually .553.  Her's going to open it up to .562 for me but doesn't think he can get the wads strippers out.  Any machinists here to tell me if it's worth taking to a machine shop?

CB

shootumindaface

I would not put that much effort into it

southernfly

CB,
Why are you changing it? I ask because I just got mine in the mail n havent tried it. Wondering if there issues to be expected. Mine will be on an 870 n I will be trying hvy #7 and probably nitros thru it

dawei

Quote from: CB on the run on February 24, 2011, 12:00:06 PM
 I took my Swarm .555 with me to the gunsmith today.  He miced it and it was actually .553.  Her's going to open it up to .562 for me but doesn't think he can get the wads strippers out.  Any machinists here to tell me if it's worth taking to a machine shop?

CB
Your post got me curious so I miked mine, it is .553" just like yours. I'm not changing a thing, the Swarm™ is THE BEST CHOKE I've ever used for shooting Pb in my 20ga. It doesn't shoot Hevi13™ well at all however; far, far worse patterns than Pb. Just my $0.02

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

R AJ

Slickster,
You stated that it tears the chokes to pieces; did you mean wads or such?

Signed,
Curious

CB on the run

The choke shot very poor for me.  I contacted Clark and he recommended not using the Federal HW FC shells.  So I bought H-13's and it shot them poor also.  I even got the same numbers with lead using the Swarm as I did my RSF.  Clark said to use smaller shot as my initial testing was with #4's & 6's because the 7's were on the market yet.  The 7's were poor also.  I had the choke up for sale or swap with no takers.  I bought the choke prior to joining this forum.  Up till this morning it was a $55 paper weight.  My gun smith clucked at the wad strippers, stating that barrel porting does a better job of taking the pressure off the wad than something inside the barrel to bounce everything around.  My gun is already ported.
  Southernfly, my recommendation is that if your shooting HTL, send it back before you shoot it and buy a pure gold tube.

CB

S.C.C

Quote from: CB on the run on February 24, 2011, 04:30:26 PM
  The choke shot very poor for me.  I contacted Clark and he recommended not using the Federal HW FC shells.  So I bought H-13's and it shot them poor also.  I even got the same numbers with lead using the Swarm as I did my RSF.  Clark said to use smaller shot as my initial testing was with #4's & 6's because the 7's were on the market yet.  The 7's were poor also.  I had the choke up for sale or swap with no takers.  I bought the choke prior to joining this forum.  Up till this morning it was a $55 paper weight.  My gun smith clucked at the wad strippers, stating that barrel porting does a better job of taking the pressure off the wad than something inside the barrel to bounce everything around.  My gun is already ported.
  Southernfly, my recommendation is that if your shooting HTL, send it back before you shoot it and buy a pure gold tube.

CB

Quote from: RAJ on February 24, 2011, 03:57:33 PM
Slickster,
You stated that it tears the chokes to pieces; did you mean wads or such?

Signed,
Curious
Prolly ment the wad and the choke when shooting HTL!! :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

I too have a swarm it shoots h13 6s PRETTY well.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

CB on the run

Quote from: hookedspur on February 25, 2011, 02:09:11 PM
I too have a swarm it shoots h13 6s PRETTY well.

What kind of numbers Hook?

CB

hookedspur

140 -160 on a good day I know thats not up with my IC  but not bad for a 20
CRUSADERS

shootumindaface

Quote from: hookedspur on February 25, 2011, 05:26:09 PM
Are you shooting the Old lots of H 13

southernfly

thanks for the info CB. Glad I havent shot it yet. My gun is shooting the jellyhead with nitros really good so pretty sure Im goin that route

hookedspur

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 26, 2011, 09:35:18 AM
Quote from: hookedspur on February 25, 2011, 05:26:09 PM
Are you shooting the Old lots of H 13
yes I think they were I shot them all.
CRUSADERS

CB on the run

That's great numbers for #6's.  You may not get the same numbers with a new batch.  I think the guys were complaining that they changed something.

CB

dawei

Quote from: CB on the run on February 26, 2011, 04:05:55 PM
 That's great numbers for #6's.  You may not get the same numbers with a new batch.  I think the guys were complaining that they changed something.

CB
EM keeps fixing and tinkering with their 20ga loads until they aren't any better than Pb IMHO. They keep fixing them until they are broke! Thank God I have several boxes of the original 20ga 3" Mag 1¼oz of Remington® Hevi•Shot® #6 (12g/cc). I have given up on Hevi13™. >:( >:( >:(
:TrainWreck1:

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given