turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

choke tube misaligned to bore :(

Started by davesonic444, March 23, 2012, 02:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davesonic444

I was doing a deep cleaning on my win 1300 and looking through the tube I noticed it didn't look right . Took it to my smith and he agreed . He cut 2 inches off the barrel and retreated it. The original was off by .030. John said it came that way from winchester and in his opinion would be hazardous to shoot.
So pay attention .
Dave

Mild Bill

good point.

I have observed some barrels similar to that in some of the rem 870 express and some win 1300s, especially the later ones .
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

HuntSource

I've seen this before as well. A few years ago, I bought a 26" barrel for my 11-87 direct from Remington. When it came, I quickly noticed choke tubes didn't align correctly. I called Remington and they sent a replacement. When it came, I called Remington to get the address where they wanted the original returned. The lady told me not to worry about it and indicated I should just dispose of it. Never will forget that.

WildSpur

My 1300 is similar.  When looking through the barrel I can see excess material where choke meets barrel on one side.  Not alot but definitely more than my Mossberg.  Ironically my rear rifle sight is adjusted way left to compensate.

Cluck more, yelp less

davesonic444

I would contact winchester if you aren't inclined to shorten the barrel. I had mine done because my dad gave me the gun or I would have tried to replace the barrel. My gunsmith said it was definitely dangerous to shoot in that condition.
Dave

kaintuck

Yep purchased 2 mossberg 535 s couple years back screwed in a comp n choke in one to pattern and second shot down tube part of choke went with load. Sent sent barrel to comp n choke and they said threads miss aligned in barrel. Called mossberg they told me to send  oth barrels to them and replace em took forever to get them back
silent water runs deep

SumToy

I have seen this alot with the Moss and the Remington
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

goblr77

Quote from: SumToy on March 26, 2012, 09:13:30 PM
I have seen this alot with the Moss and the Remington

I have too. I went through a run of three different Remingtons, 870's and 1187's, right after they came out with the 3-1/2" chambers that were bad off. Had a Mossberg 20 last year that was off.

davesonic444

You can bet I will be checking any shotgun I buy  from now forward. :fud:

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: davesonic444 on March 28, 2012, 10:14:22 AM
You can bet I will be checking any shotgun I buy  from now forward. :fud:
x-2
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

joshb311

Benelli is still in possession of my Nova barrel for this same reason. It seems that the manufacturers would do a better job of catching this type of thing before it gets out the door. Especially since there is such a safety issue involved.

Old Gobbler

Ive seen this with a 1300 also , way off center - that gun shot 1 foot to the right because of it
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

SumToy

The BIG thing is safety.  I have seen them roll the end of the choke up and hang wad.  That is a big thing to keep a eye on.  I had a post of a Moss 535 that did that.  If it is a long barrel you can cut it off and thread it over. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

davesonic444

I was absolutely appalled when I found this. I had always trusted that gun makers would not let this happen.
Dave

Michigander

I had a Nova with the same issue. Took me a while to figure out why it shot everything, including slugs, a foot to the right at 40 yards. Benelli sent me a new barrel and set of choke tubes. Of course I figure it out just before I left for MO for a hunt. Benelli said it would take a month, so I used it to kill my birds anyway...safety first!  ;)