OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkeys In An Suburban Setting?

Started by Green Buffalo, February 24, 2011, 10:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Buffalo

Does anyone else hunt turkeys in an suburban setting?  There have been articles written about the "potential" of bow hunting whitetails in suburban areas, how about turkeys?  Here is a solid three year old that I have my eye on.  How do I know he is a three year old?  Because the building you see in the picture is part of the shop that I work at.  He roosts on the same limb every night, about fifty yards from where I park my truck.  I've watched this guy for the last couple of springs, he has a distinctive limp when he walks.

Does anyone else hunt turkeys in an suburban setting?

PANYHunter

I will hunt them anywhere they are and I have permission.  Seems like anymore there are houses popping up all over the place and like deer once they are accustomed to it they will move in.   I wouldn't say I hunt in the suburbs but there are definitely houses around.  The only problem with it is that there are a lot of people that know there are turkeys around.  Anyway looks like you have him pretty well patterned.   

yellowacorns

Dang, he has the bark wore off the limb where he roosts!

Gobble!

Muskie03

I've done it. For me the more urban the area the less fun it was. My 2 cents.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Boomstick

i shot an 8 point in my back yard last fall with my 45. shot him through the screen in my kitchen window. my old lady was mad, but he was only 15 feet from the window and i had just went to the range with my rifle and didnt have any rounds. i live on the outskirts with woods behind my house(no other houses that way for about 4 miles)
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

TANK

I'm gona be honest with you on this one, I wouldn't shoot that turkey. I would get more out of it seeing him everyday. Thats like shooting the company watch dog.............JMHO

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TANK on February 24, 2011, 02:47:25 PM
I'm gona be honest with you on this one, I wouldn't shoot that turkey. I would get more out of it seeing him everyday.
x2 :agreed:   :icon_thumright:

Green Buffalo

So your telling me that if a 180" whitetail was living in your back yard in a small patch of woods you wouldn't hunt him?   ???  I highly doubt it.

I'm not proposing killing him off the roost...  He spends most of his time across the road in a forty-acre patch of woods with an industrial plant on one side and homes on the other three sides.

I understand where you guys are coming from I live out in the country with plenty of big woods to hunt.  However I have a few suburban patches that I can hunt during the week before work. The more time in the woods the better if you asked me!

Basser69

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 24, 2011, 02:56:18 PM
Quote from: TANK on February 24, 2011, 02:47:25 PM
I'm gona be honest with you on this one, I wouldn't shoot that turkey. I would get more out of it seeing him everyday.
x2 :agreed:   :icon_thumright:

X 3 Go look at the game camera pics I have been posting up. I could hunt and kill all of these urban deer but we have more fun at the shop "looking" at them than we do killing them. One shot and they are over with but the pictures are daily, every day.

RutnNStrutn

Not knocking you at all Green Buff. No need to get defensive. Just saying that if he roosts on the same limb every evening, 50 yards from where you park your truck, there wouldn't be as much of a challenge to killing him.
A 3 year old turkey doesn't compare to a 180 class whitetail. Most guys go their entire hunting career without seeing a 180, much less killing one. People see & kill 3 year old gobblers all the time. Even if a three year old did compare, its not like the challenge of a not so habitual turkey.
That said, you do what's right for you bro. Like I said, I'm not knocking you at all. I've lived in the country before, and I've taken critters on my property but I also enjoyed watching the wildlife living around me. You can't get that living in the burbs. Guess that's my point. You have something special there. If I had other places to hunt, I'd go there instead. I'd rather enjoy the old boy by seeing him everyday than I would 1 hunt with him, and never seeing him there again. He's unique!!
I support ALL hunters using legal methods. So if you do decide to kill him, I will congratulate you and be happy for you. Either way, it doesn't matter what we think. You gotta do what is best for you!! :icon_thumright:

TANK

Quote from: Green Buffalo on February 24, 2011, 04:39:55 PM
So your telling me that if a 180" whitetail was living in your back yard in a small patch of woods you wouldn't hunt him?   ???  I highly doubt it.

I'm not proposing killing him off the roost...  He spends most of his time across the road in a forty-acre patch of woods with an industrial plant on one side and homes on the other three sides.

I understand where you guys are coming from I live out in the country with plenty of big woods to hunt.  However I have a few suburban patches that I can hunt during the week before work. The more time in the woods the better if you asked me!
The deer isn't as important to me as that turkey, so yes I would shoot the deer. It would help me pass the time watching him in the off season. Like them above mentioned , he has worn all the bark off the limb. I'm not knocking you, I hunt in some suburban places also. I would give my co-worker, Tom Gobbler a pardon...........

Green Buffalo

Ok guys I'll give this one a free pass.

However the idea that a bird killed in suburban woods is easier is ridicules.

Crutch

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 24, 2011, 04:54:54 PM
Not knocking you at all Green Buff. No need to get defensive. Just saying that if he roosts on the same limb every evening, 50 yards from where you park your truck, there wouldn't be as much of a challenge to killing him.
A 3 year old turkey doesn't compare to a 180 class whitetail. Most guys go their entire hunting career without seeing a 180, much less killing one. People see & kill 3 year old gobblers all the time. Even if a three year old did compare, its not like the challenge of a not so habitual turkey.
That said, you do what's right for you bro. Like I said, I'm not knocking you at all. I've lived in the country before, and I've taken critters on my property but I also enjoyed watching the wildlife living around me. You can't get that living in the burbs. Guess that's my point. You have something special there. If I had other places to hunt, I'd go there instead. I'd rather enjoy the old boy by seeing him everyday than I would 1 hunt with him, and never seeing him there again. He's unique!!
I support ALL hunters using legal methods. So if you do decide to kill him, I will congratulate you and be happy for you. Either way, it doesn't matter what we think. You gotta do what is best for you!! :icon_thumright:

Very well spoken RnS.  Thats why I enjoy this board so much. GB, you won't know how you are going to feel about it until after the deed is done. You might tag out somewhere else before hand, but it is still a 3 YO bird.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Green Buffalo

Quote from: Crutch on February 24, 2011, 06:37:30 PM
Very well spoken RnS.  Thats why I enjoy this board so much. GB, you won't know how you are going to feel about it until after the deed is done. You might tag out somewhere else before hand, but it is still a 3 YO bird.

I know one thing I would rather see him killed by a hunter than laying dead on the side of the road killed by a car.