OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

7's

Started by oldcreekhunter, March 23, 2012, 01:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcreekhunter

i see alot of guys on here like the hevi 7's. is that just because of the high pellet count? does 7's really have the ump to kill a big gobbler past 15-25 yards?

Tom Foolery

Quote from: oldcreekhunter on March 23, 2012, 01:33:47 PM
i see alot of guys on here like the hevi 7's. is that just because of the high pellet count? does 7's really have the ump to kill a big gobbler past 15-25 yards?

LOL, yeah they will roll one over 40yds if need be.

oldcreekhunter

i believe ya on the high density...maybe my mind set wont let me believe 7's will murder one  :z-guntootsmiley:   

oldcreekhunter

i shoot the magnum blends which has 7's but who knows what shot in that shell does the killing  :OGturkeyhead:

30_06

For me, yes I shoot them because they give me a higher pellet count.
Yes, they have enough "ump" to kill out past 25 yards.

Here is one I shot last year at 35 yards, while not typical of all of my kills it shows what damage can be done.

oldcreekhunter

Quote from: 30_06 on March 23, 2012, 01:44:06 PM
For me, yes I shoot them because they give me a higher pellet count.
Yes, they have enough "ump" to kill out past 25 yards.

Here is one I shot last year at 35 yards, while not typical of all of my kills it shows what damage can be done.

hey 30-06 thats what im talking about! bird not paper cirlces..lol oh and is your screen name 30-06 or did you shoot him with one..wow what damage  :drool:

Lucky Clucker

WOW and I though mine shot tight!. yeas they will kill upto and past 40 yards, I killed one at 46 yards last year and blew him back 3 ft. and he never flopped,they are killers and alot of them.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

tomanyturkeycalls

Shot one last year at 43 yards and he hardley even flopped ,  I love them...

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: el diablo on March 23, 2012, 01:39:13 PM
High pattern density and plenty of penetration to kill to 40yds no matter how big the gobbler.

No doubt about that.  And 40yds is really all anyone needs to shoot. 

JohnnieB

I traded in my lead #5 for Hevi #7s about  years ago. I haven't had to wring a neck since I switched and have shot a few birds slightly beyond yards with 3 inch shells.

Frankinthelaurels

SORRY...I'm not buying that under any conditions.. I've shot enough turkey in my life and seen thousands of other kills in 50 years of chasin' em'-- from 5 yards to 50 and there is no way I'm going to believe that any shotgun,choke,pellet size or pellet type did that at 35 YARDS!!!!!!!!! May 10 yards but never 35 yards!!!! Are you sure this is not a picture of a gob. guillotine kill... AT 35 yards you wouldn't have enough of any size shot to do that kind of destruction... maybe a 30/06 was used.

Longshanks

Quote from: oldcreekhunter on March 23, 2012, 01:33:47 PM

7's have the same knock down, if you will..as 5.5 or 6 lead.  Do you think lead 6's will kill a turkey at 40yds?  Killing patterns for Pb 6's I believe is 100+ in a 10 @ 40.  What do you think the result is with 333 in 10 @ 40?  I can tell you its devastating. I shot a turkey at 38 yds with Hevi 7's and the damage on the turkey was like the photo..if not worse.  Serious damage. I killed a turkey this year at 32yds with a 20g and Fed HW 7's..the results were the same.. I dont shoot turkeys past 40yds so I cannot comment on long range shooting with Hevi 7's.

savduck

Quote from: Frankinthelaurels on March 26, 2012, 10:33:05 AM
SORRY...I'm not buying that under any conditions.. I've shot enough turkey in my life and seen thousands of other kills in 50 years of chasin' em'-- from 5 yards to 50 and there is no way I'm going to believe that any shotgun,choke,pellet size or pellet type did that at 35 YARDS!!!!!!!!! May 10 yards but never 35 yards!!!! Are you sure this is not a picture of a gob. guillotine kill... AT 35 yards you wouldn't have enough of any size shot to do that kind of destruction... maybe a 30/06 was used.

I thought the same way about 7s. I bought some of my own in 20ga and started patterning guns. I have 30 and 35 yard patterns that used to be 20 yard patterns years ago. Not every shot will pattern like that, but I have personally seen some of my patterns that would do that at 35 yards.  It would definately do that to a gobblers head. Its hard to fathom....but its true.

Here is a 20 ga at 30 and then one at 40. If my 20 ga will do this then imagine what a 12ga 3.5 does.

Georgia Boy

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well what do you think this pattern would do to a turkey head at 40yds?  There was 361 shot in the 10" at 40yds if you turn it over.  That was a taped 40yds too.  

Longshanks

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 26, 2012, 04:57:48 PM
Well what do you think this pattern would do to a turkey head at 40yds?  There was 361 shot in the 10" at 40yds if you turn it over.  That was a taped 40yds too.  

Thats what I call serious business.. :welcomeOG: