turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best 2 3/4 shell???

Started by je4bowhuntin, February 24, 2011, 08:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

je4bowhuntin

I just bought a nice semi-auto skb with a 18" barrel and a poly-choke. My wife and boy will be carrying this in turkey season . It adjust to full. My question is what is the best 2 3/4 rounds y'all have tried? I am figuring a max range of 30 yds. This sound about right?

a-j calls

I once used the remington duplex, but no more, unless your shots are close, very close. 

Skeeterbait

You can make a 40 yard gun out of 2.75" shells but it takes heavier than lead shot to do it.  My wife is shooting Winchester Elite Xtended Range #6 in a Mossberg 500, 20" barrel, Indian Creek .660.  The gun is patterning 202 pellets at 30 and 128 pellets at 40 in a 10 inch circle.

An 18" barrel with a polly choke is an odd thing.  is that choke permanent or is it a screw in add on choke like the Tru-Glo Titan?  If screw in I think I would replace it with a turkey choke.  Not sure I would shoot heavier than lead shot thru it without contacting the manufacturer first.

Reloader

The Win Ext Range 2.75" 1.5oz #6 load will throw a mean pattern in the right setup.  With the right turkey choke it can reach to 50yds in some guns.  With your poly choke, you may make 40 with them.  They will definitely outshoot lead 2-3/4" loads.

Good Luck

Reloader

joshua

Read the post Jayhawkeye posted on the main turkey guns page.  Those are some of the best #s I have seen on here using 2 3/4"  lead loads.   :anim_25: this spring.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Reloader

QuoteNot sure I would shoot heavier than lead shot thru it without contacting the manufacturer

Very good point.  Good thing about Win XR is that it is one of the softest HTL offerings, but a check with the manufacturer would be a good idea.

SR1

I used to drop them all the time with my own hand load that was 1 1/4 oz of copper plated 7 1/2's. But would limit the shot to 30 yrds or less. I would try the Win HV turkey loads they are great for a factory shell.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

Jayhawkeye

Quote from: je4bowhuntin on February 24, 2011, 08:30:35 AM
I just bought a nice semi-auto skb with a 18" barrel and a poly-choke. My wife and boy will be carrying this in turkey season . It adjust to full. My question is what is the best 2 3/4 rounds y'all have tried? I am figuring a max range of 30 yds. This sound about right?

i plan on patterning some 2 3/4" Hev-13 #4 #5 #6, Remington duplex, and Winchester supreme #4 #5 #6 shells next week.  i need to use up some old surplus.  i'll post more #'s next week when the weather is nice again. 

my first 2 years i used the factory choke on my mossy 930 with Remington duplex and Winchester supreme ammo and i killed birds at 10, 25, 35, & 50 yards.  so, who knows?  lol!  although, i've switched to a PG choke with 2 3/4" Hevi-13 #4 & #6 the past two seasons without any complaints.
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

honker22

I tried some old Rem Duplex last year and it was garbage.  It will be interesting to see your #4 and 5 numbers, hardly anyone uses that size these days. 

Good luck
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.