turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can they do that?!?

Started by ground control, February 23, 2011, 11:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busta biggun

This whole story sounds strange to me. First, why would they want to introduce Easterns into Texas? They already have Rio's established and it has been proven that they do much better than Easterns in semi-arid climates. The goal of any trap and transfer program is to take a small portion of birds from a place with high concentrations. They never take so many birds that they decimate a population. There could be exceptions if you had a rogue group of agents but I don't understand any motivation for that.

I feel that there may be other explanations, such as predation, habitat destruction, or perhaps the farmer never sees any because he isn't looking for them. Many farmers don't see turkeys unless they almost hit them with their truck. Regardless there are many more plausible explanations than TWRA intervention.

turkeybow

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 24, 2011, 09:15:09 AM
They can and do ship turkeys to other states and even countries. I had even wondered about Ft. Stewart, here in GA. One year you see turkeys everywhere and then for the next two, you can't even find a track. I know they had something going on with nwtf and planting trees. Of course this is purely speculation on my part.

Mark

They can ship turkeys to other states but they won't.  There is no need to take turkeys from Tennessee to Texas when you could get them in other counties in Texas.  If they do any relocating turkeys they are just going to take them from a county with a high population and put them in a county with a low population within the state.  Also, like busta biggun said they are not going to introduce a subspecies.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

bird

Quote from: turkeybow on February 24, 2011, 05:24:15 PM
Quote from: M Sharpe on February 24, 2011, 09:15:09 AM
They can and do ship turkeys to other states and even countries. I had even wondered about Ft. Stewart, here in GA. One year you see turkeys everywhere and then for the next two, you can't even find a track. I know they had something going on with nwtf and planting trees. Of course this is purely speculation on my part.

Mark

They can ship turkeys to other states but they won't.  There is no need to take turkeys from Tennessee to Texas when you could get them in other counties in Texas.  If they do any relocating turkeys they are just going to take them from a county with a high population and put them in a county with a low population within the state.  Also, like busta biggun said they are not going to introduce a subspecies.

Don't be surprised at what some State's will do as far as introducing other subspecies to an area.  For example: South Dakota felt it wise to transplant Easterns into areas where there were nothing but Merriams.  Now they have a little bit of both.

turkeybow

Quote from: bird on February 24, 2011, 05:32:02 PM
Don't be surprised at what some State's will do as far as introducing other subspecies to an area.  For example: South Dakota felt it wise to transplant Easterns into areas where there were nothing but Merriams.  Now the have a little bit of both.

This has been done in the past but I'd about bet that they wouldn't do it again.  If they did I'd be thinking twice about sending my money to them.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

HogBiologist

I know here in Louisiana we have to have permission to come on a persons land for that.  Enforcement does not need it to come investigate but biologists do.  Just because the people own the birds, we dont own the property.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Sherrell

I know Texas at one time was given Osceola's,not sure how many,but one hen was banded and I believe she was in her 11th. year when she was re-trapped and died.I believe Lovett may have that particular leg band.
Hunting Merriam's,I just go to New Mexico since the historical home range was Colorado,Arizona and New Mexico before they got the subspecies all boogered up in other states with the Eastern/Merriam's/Rio-Grande hybrids.

But it doesn't much matter as they all are delicious.

shootumindaface

Texas has a small population of easterns

gob09

SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE A LITTLE SMOKE BLOWIN TO ME

Sherrell

Quote from: busta biggun on February 24, 2011, 10:46:39 AM
This whole story sounds strange to me. First, why would they want to introduce Easterns into Texas? They already have Rio's established and it has been proven that they do much better than Easterns in semi-arid climates. The goal of any trap and transfer program is to take a small portion of birds from a place with high concentrations. They never take so many birds that they decimate a population. There could be exceptions if you had a rogue group of agents but I don't understand any motivation for that.

I feel that there may be other explanations, such as predation, habitat destruction, or perhaps the farmer never sees any because he isn't looking for them. Many farmers don't see turkeys unless they almost hit them with their truck. Regardless there are many more plausible explanations than TWRA intervention.

East Texas pinewoods and post oak regions were the historical home range of the Eastern wild turkey before they were wiped out by the settlers.I know that the Texas Easterns have seem to struggle in the past compared to the Rio's.

fallhnt

They can and will in IL. I know for a fact! They will tell you to your face after going on your land witout permission,that they put them there and they can take them.Sounds like they got traded to TX. to help out there Easterns.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

OLE RASPY

Quote from: busta biggun on February 24, 2011, 10:46:39 AM

I reckon texas is got a small population of easterns already

mnturkey

back in the late 70's MN traded ruffed grouse for turkeys, If I am not mistaken we got birds from Missouri.
After a small Population was built MN trapped their own turkeys to transplant over the state, but they had to get permission to enter private land.  The only DNR people who can enter private land is Game Warden and he/she has to have proable cause just like a police officer.
I would think all other states are like that, they need permission to go on private land.
SEMPER FI

yellowacorns

twra got elk from some other state, made cattle people nervous.  You would think turkeys would be relocated to other states.  I know on my place the hens and poults leave about the first frost and I wont see one all winter.  Now 2 miles away there will be 20  to 30 in a flock that I see reguarly.  I look for turkey every time I go out my back door, ask my neighbor all the time, they just dont like it on my place till spring.  I am going to try a feeder this summer and just see if I can hold them all winter.  I just like to watch them. 

hookedspur

Quote from: knightrider on February 23, 2011, 11:39:21 PM
why would texas need our birds? and no they will not do that without asking
exactly :agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gobbler74

Va has gotten deer from Michigan and sold turkeys off as well..Its all bartering for one thing thing or the other..most of the time you never hear about it.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"