OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got my Gun Back From Rob Roberts/Gobbler Guns Today

Started by st8tman, March 20, 2012, 12:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

st8tman

Talk About customer service at it's finest!!!...I shipped my SBEII to Rob Roberts last week...the gun arrived in Arkansas on Wednesday PM. Rob lengthened/polished the forcing cone, ported the barrel, and patterned, picking out the most favorable Roberts "Full Strut" choke for my application on Thursday. He called me Friday AM and said my gun was ready for return shipping. I had it back in Virginia Today (Monday).
I had advised him most of my shots were 35 yds and closer in the mountains of Virginia, but I occassionally encountered a leary "Cow Pasture" bird that refused to come closer than 45-50yds. I asked for an even well balanced "hunting" pattern to cover these scenarios, with not much emphasis put on 10" numbers. He ended up picking a .655 Final Strut and 3 1/2" Hevi Magblends. The computerized "counter" determined the Magblends contained on average 440 pellets. The gun produced 198 10" at 40/ 356 20" and 399 30". The POA/POI was dead accurate, and the balance of the pattern was remarkable, without any noticeable gaps in the pattern. They have a True Turkey Factor; which is a computerized formula that maxes out with the highest possible score being 171; he was able to get my gun up to a 168 rating with the choke/shell combo he chose. Rob advised me he was partial to the Magblends because they produced 1200fps as opposed to the straight shot Hevi's 1090. He sent the computerized copy of the pattern as well as a detailed analysis of the gun's performance, in addition to a nice Rob Roberts cap. I realize this is not for everyone, but for those contemplating having this type of work done....I could not ask for any better service/feedback/or attention to detail. Heck I figured if Benelli entrusted him to do their "Performance Turkey SBEII", he must have his Shizz together. Besides those performance guns are retailing for $2995 and when its all said and done my "Poorboys Special" with the Burris FFIII is still around $1000 less. If anyone has any questions about Rob or his services/shipping etc. I will help if I can.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

nyhunter

tomtamer25

bgbuck153

st8tman

Honestly...this gun was new in the box! I had always wanted one of the SBE's and our children came about the same time....so I continued to hunt with my 1978 1100 Magnum. Nevertheless, I was finally able to purchase a new SBEII, and had great plans for patterning/tinkering....but I had an unfortunate accident and was layed up for 3 months....so I sent to Rob as a quick tune before the season starts. I realize it is a terrible baseline for comparison having not shot the gun....BUT I know Rob and his expertise with these guns probably got more out of it in less time/money than if I had decided to do the whole choke/shell "Tryouts!" Anyway the way I figure it, I still have the option of playing around with shells/chokes at my leisure, now that he has created a very solid baseline.

HuntSource

Rob rocks! His work is great and he's very fast. He's not facinatinated by recent fad of maximizing numbers in the 10" ring at 40yd. Rather, Rob focuses on having patterns that are solid to at least 15". I tend to agree. While to each their own, I've seen folks here giddy with #7 patterns that have 300 in the 10" ring, but get very spotty beginning at 11-12". It makes more sense to me to thin the 10" a bit and thicken the 15" pattern. After all, 100 pellets in the 10" is plenty to kill a tom and how far will #7s kill anyway?

HuntSource

Spuriosity,

Rob has essentially computerized pattern analysis. I had an extended conversation with him a couple of months ago about it. Unfortunately, my memory on some of the specifics isn't as extended as the conversation. Basically, I've slept since then.

Even so, here's the gist. IIRC, Rob has determined that there are 150+ head and neck positions a turkey can have in 15" circumference at 40yd. (I think the 15" ring is his focus.) Anyway, Rob's program will evaluate patterns to determine whether a tom could possibly not get killed within that circumference. Patterns are scored on the 150+ point scale. Rob was quick to point out that the super tight patterns preferred today generally won't compare favorably to those that shift some pellets to the 15" and 20" rings.

This year, I've figured out I can drop my numbers with 12ga, 3" 2oz, Hevi-13s  #7s to the 180-190 range at 40yd in the 10" and have effective and certain killing density to 17-18". That's with a .670". Last year, I was averaging 280 with the occasional 300+ with at Rhino .660". However, patterns became spotty after about 12". I don't think Hevi-13 #7s have the juice to kill beyond 50yd, so why strive for 300 in the 10"? I'd much rather have the wider pattern with the .670" as it still yields plenty in 10" out to 50yd. That said, I still shoot my OW #6s with at .660" when I'm focusing on fields.

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

2much2loud

Great to hear that you are happy with the results. If you don't mind me asking what did all that work set you back? I have the same gun and am considering Having Rob do all the work you had done except maybe the porting.
Thanks Greg

01Foreman400

Huntin Fool From Georgia!

allaboutshooting

Rob Roberts does some quality work and I'm glad to hear that you're so pleased with the work he did on your gun.

A couple of years ago, I had a "conversation" with him and published that here http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=403

It remains as one of the most read articles that I've ever written.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

st8tman

For those who care to read about the "True Turkey Factor" and the computer program/patterning machine here is the link to the actual machine Rob utilizes. The True Turkey Factor is highlighted in red in the center of the homepage.   http://www.luckyweasel.com/
As far as cost...the Lengthen/Polish of Forcing Cone was $75, the Porting was $95 on a camo barrel, the Pattern Analysis was $125, and the Full Strut Choke was $75. Return shipping was $35. I realize it is some coins, but after coming close to being paralyzed I figured what the heck, I'm gonna treat myself.....Life's Short!
Clark....To be quite honest with you I had read several "threads" throughout this site as well as others about Rob and his services, but after reading your one on one, Q/A session with Rob it was what caused me to "Pull the Trigger" and have the work done! Thanks for that, and all the other insights you have given both myself as well as other members of this board.

cannonball

Turkeyslayer 101

Great guy I talked to him today for an hour, bout to send him my super Vinci to get supped up!
Be sharp but don't cut yourself!