turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rem870SM/ Polishing Question?

Started by Longshanks, March 19, 2012, 03:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Noticed that the inside of this brand new Rem870SM was fairly rough.  I took the barrel to my gunsmith to have it professionally polished. After polishing..even to the point of using 80 grit the barrel is still rough looking.  Has anyone else experienced this with the new Rem870SM? My gunsmith said it would take hours of polishing to smooth it out. My wingmasters that he has worked on look like a mirror on the inside.  He said my best bet is sell the gun.  Havent shot it since polishing.  Wondering is this a case of they dont make em like they used to.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Reloader

My last 870SM was very rough when new.  I polished the heck out of it and it shines like a mirror now.  One of the best patterning guns I own. 

You should probably send it to a smith that uses hones to polish if you dont want to do it yourself, it wont take them long to knock it out.

Longshanks

nyhunter

you should shoot it and see how it does.

allaboutshooting

I'd shoot it and see how it patterns. I've seen some terrible looking barrels shoot very well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Longshanks

Yea I'm gonna do some shooting first chance I get and then take it back to the smith if its not shooting well. They charged $30 to do the work, looks like I may have to try the posted method of polishing.

Wingbone

I shot a brand new 870SM over the weekend to pattern it for a guy. It shot well I thought, and had a good pattern out to 40 yds. However, when I got it home and started cleaning it, I thought there was some plastic or fouling in the end of the barrel that I couldn't get out. I looked at it from the muzzle end, and I saw what looked like a dark stain just below the bottom choke threads. Then I realized it was tooling marks and it had actually made a groove where it stopped. It didn't seem to have affected the pattern, but I didn't know what to tell him. Should he send it back, or just let it be as long as it shoots well. It looked deep enough from the muzzle end that polishing probably wouldn't fix it. From the chamber end, you couldn't really see it.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Longshanks

I believe I would send it back immediately.

schuylkillspur

I hope he means 800grit. 80 would be like using barbed wire.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Reloader

Quote from: schuylkillspur on March 20, 2012, 05:23:00 PM
I hope he means 800grit. 80 would be like using barbed wire.

That's what I assumed as well.

I hate to knock anyone, but if he couldn't make it shine with flex hones, I think I'd find a new smith.

I bet Rob Roberts could hook you up with a fantastic job on that bbl.

Longshanks

Yup, started with 80 and worked to 600 then polished.Barrel shines but it has an unevenness throughout. Kinda like looking at orange peel in a paint job if you know what I mean. Looks much better than it did. You would have to remove a tremendous amount of material to make it slick. I shot today and the numbers were decent with 3" lead. 115 @ 40. Not sure what HTL will do until I shoot it. I am hearing more and more stories about the poor tooling of the new rem870sm barrels. That's too bad the quality has dropped off like this.

runngun

80 grit I have never, ever heard of anyone using something that coarse?
:TrainWreck1:
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

hunter-b

Mine looks the same but shoots ok .

Longshanks

Quote from: hunter-b on March 20, 2012, 06:09:52 PM
Mine looks the same but shoots ok .

Yea, 115 @ 40 with 3" 6's is about the 2nd or 3rd best pattern I have turned with lead, must not be too far off. I will run some Hevi 3/2/7's through it this weekend and see what it does. Called Mr Roberts that you guys speak of for two days to get his input but never got a call back. Guess I will look for some advice elsewhere.

hunter-b

I wouldn't give up on Mr. Roberts I'm sure he could help you . 115 #6 @ 40 is not to bad . But you could try to do better . Dont give up that's what Ol dGobbler is here for . Let us know how you do this weekend .   :icon_thumright: