turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A New Killer Is Born! Update on my Side by Side 20 Gauge

Started by BrowningGuy88, March 19, 2012, 10:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

Well I bought a CZ double barrel to dove and quail hunt with and have really enjoyed shooting it as a general bird gun. Then the opening morning of season I had two gobblers under 10 yards from me in thick underbrush (couldn't swing on them to make the shot) and thought man I it would be nice to have a more open choke cause I am going to shoot like a rifle with my 870 and the gobblers this close!

I got home from the woods about 9:30 or so that morning and was talking with my grandfather about it and he asked me - Don't you have that double barrel? I said yes...

We got it out and put a Light Modified choke in the left barrel and a Turkey .581 nonported in the right barrel. This is because the left barrel centers the pattern about 5" low and the right barrel about 3" high. I grabbed a few turkey shells and a few targets and we went to try it out!

20 Yards
Right Barrel (turkey choke)
Remington Nitro #5's
Didn't even bother counting pellets because it just shredded the target!

Left Barrel (light modified choke)
Remington Nitro #5's
Nice evenly spread pattern that made me wish I would have had it that morning!

35 Yards
Hevi 13 6's
Nice evenly spread 110 in a 12" circle - a little low

Winchester Supreme 6's
Nice Evenly spread 105 in the 12" circle!

So I found my combo!

Left Barrel
Trulock Light Modified
Remington Nitro Mag 5's or Winchester 6's

Right Barrel
Trulock Turkey .581
Winchester Supreme 6's

It will be getting a few Fed. HWT 7's put through it just to see what they will do, but with lead getting me a comfort at 10-20 yards and then again 25-35 yards it is going to be hard to change anything! This little side by side will be on the knee the next time I am in the woods! It only weighs 6.2 pounds with 26" barrels and has double triggers and the safety right where God intended (on the tang)!

Thanks for looking!
Daman

thundrchikin

I also have a CZ SxS in 20 that I love. I shoot a Trulock .581 in the right barrel with Hevi -7's and a Carlsons Mod. with the same load in the left.

BrowningGuy88

I would have liked to shoot Hevi in it, but it just patterns too low out of the turkey choke. I am going to try the Fed HWT and see, but with the Winchester Pb doing like it is - this season it will probably just sling lead!

It is getting SumToy's over the off-season. Sending the whole gun. One to shoot lead 6's with a wide pattern 10 - 25 yards and then one to sling Hevi 6's and lead tight out to around 40-45 yards.

thundrchikin

Quote from: Daman on March 19, 2012, 12:16:38 PM
I would have liked to shoot Hevi in it, but it just patterns too low out of the turkey choke. I am going to try the Fed HWT and see, but with the Winchester Pb doing like it is - this season it will probably just sling lead!

It is getting SumToy's over the off-season. Sending the whole gun. One to shoot lead 6's with a wide pattern 10 - 25 yards and then one to sling Hevi 6's and lead tight out to around 40-45 yards.
This is the main reason I love my double.  Mod. barrel when things are up close and personnal and the XF when there's a little distance.

paboxcall

Will SumToy be able to correct the PoA / PoI for you so it no longer shoots low?  You mentioned left  barrel is low and right barrel is high, will they bend the barrels to fix this?  Is that even possible?
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: paboxcall on March 19, 2012, 08:56:07 PM

Will SumToy be able to correct the PoA / PoI for you so it no longer shoots low?  You mentioned left  barrel is low and right barrel is high, will they bend the barrels to fix this?  Is that even possible?

it is not bad at all. They may be able to bevel the chokes to make them throw to the same spot. The barrels will not get bent - it is so close that the low barrel is just hold a fat bead on top of head and the high barrel a fine bead on waddles. Most double barrels have this problem, but this one is one of the better ones I have fooled with as far as both barrels being close.

R AJ

Quote from: Daman on March 20, 2012, 09:37:03 AM
Quote from: paboxcall on March 19, 2012, 08:56:07 PM

Have you tried switching chokes to the opposite barrel for POI/POA problem? I am enjoying my USSG(Baikal) 20 sxs this year. It could become my permanent 20 ga turkey gun, but I did say could.

it is not bad at all. They may be able to bevel the chokes to make them throw to the same spot. The barrels will not get bent - it is so close that the low barrel is just hold a fat bead on top of head and the high barrel a fine bead on waddles. Most double barrels have this problem, but this one is one of the better ones I have fooled with as far as both barrels being close.

BrowningGuy88

yes I swapped the chokes around and the barrels still shot the exact same. I am going to try Mag Blends in it also to see if the velocity difference will help anything.

dawei

While not a CZ® (Huglu), I have a 20ga Remington® SPR 220 (Baikal IZH-43) SxS. Barrels are 26 5/8" with flush factory chokes. The gun is DT (which I prefer), and  I have two Colonial Arms® Extended Turkey chokes for it that I purchased from RAJ a few years ago. These chokes are .570" and .575", barrels are 27 3/8" w/these extended chokes installed. With the Remington® Nitro-Turkey® 3" Mag 1185fps 1¼oz #5Pb (#NT20M5) the gun is pure poison on gobblers.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: dawei on March 20, 2012, 04:08:11 PM
While not a CZ® (Huglu), I have a 20ga Remington® SPR 220 (Baikal IZH-43) SxS. Barrels are 26 5/8" with flush factory chokes. The gun is DT (which I prefer), and  I have two Colonial Arms® Extended Turkey chokes for it that I purchased from RAJ a few years ago. These chokes are .570" and .575", barrels are 27 3/8" w/these extended chokes installed. With the Remington® Nitro-Turkey® 3" Mag 1185fps 1¼oz #5Pb (#NT20M5) the gun is pure poison on gobblers.

I prefer the look of flush mount chokes, but I have had much better luck patterning for turkeys with the extended.

Can't wait to get my Sumtoy's for it over the summer!

I also love the Nitro Mags in #5 for a lead load - especially 30 yards and under! Winchester Pb is where it is though once you pass 32 yards or so!

WyoHunter

I've got a CZ Ringneck in 20 ga. and it's a great little gun!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!