OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

stopping logging

Started by saint, February 23, 2011, 08:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalturkeyman

Quote from: BOFF on February 23, 2011, 11:35:58 PM
Quote from: TANK on February 23, 2011, 09:43:20 PM
I am a fan of logging 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a fan of Clear Cutting 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only time I have seen where the woods & wildlife has benefitted from clear cutting was after hurricanes Katrina, Rita, & Gustave. Some blocks of woods was so torn up from the wind it wouldn't have been beneficial to a rabbit...............

There is absolutely nothing wrong with clear cutting. The problem is clear cutting and not putting back into the land with proper prep treatment and replanting.

From a timber management viewpoint, clear cutting is a necessity at times. Seems most people like to take from the land, but not give anything back to it.  Just my opinion.

God Bless,
David B.

well said David.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

CASH

Ever use plastic toilet paper?
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

knightrider

Quote from: CASH on February 24, 2011, 12:42:35 AM
Ever use plastic toilet paper?
nope but plenty of t-shirt pockets  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Sherrell

turkey_slayer

Quote from: mossybird on February 23, 2011, 09:29:40 PM
I hope not, I live in VA but my dads job is a logger

Same here. My uncles have been logging for 33 years.  I wish they would log some of the federal land around here. Woods are too open now with no underbrush.  Deer and grouse are gone.  Turkey come and go depending on mast crop.  They whack sections of state land (WMA) here all the time.

wvboy

I am a fan of logging 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a fan of Clear Cutting 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto .. logging is a good thing if it is done correctly .. benefits all the wildlife..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

yellowacorns

Quote from: saltysenior on February 23, 2011, 09:21:58 PM
try greenpeace,peta,friends of animals,audubon,save the planet,ect.... their websites will give you info on how you can help stop ''logging''... :anim_25:

O and peta will help you ban HUNTING  also    :you_rock:

PANYHunter

Quote from: yellowacorns on February 24, 2011, 10:18:57 AM
Quote from: saltysenior on February 23, 2011, 09:21:58 PM
try greenpeace,peta,friends of animals,audubon,save the planet,ect.... their websites will give you info on how you can help stop ''logging''... :anim_25:

O and peta will help you ban HUNTING  also    :you_rock:
Yeah I would call PETA and ask them if they can help stop logging so the hunting is better. Wonder what they would say??  Maybe  :chucknorris: can help

Gobble!

Climb the tree and they will eventually leave you alone

TANK

I am a fan of logging 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a fan of Clear Cutting 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only time I have seen where the woods & wildlife has benefitted from clear cutting was after hurricanes Katrina, Rita, & Gustave. Some blocks of woods was so torn up from the wind it wouldn't have been beneficial to a rabbit...............

There is absolutely nothing wrong with clear cutting. The problem is clear cutting and not putting back into the land with proper prep treatment and replanting.

From a timber management viewpoint, clear cutting is a necessity at times. Seems most people like to take from the land, but not give anything back to it.  Just my opinion.

God Bless,
David B.
How is clear cutting necessary from a timber managment viewpoint at times? What would be some of the times you are talkin about? Like I said after the hurricanes it was more of a timber recovery than anything else. We didn't have beetles killing the trees. The "necessity" was $$$$$$. I understand thats the business they are in but they also preach this crap about how they give back to the land & wildlife, I'll tell you what they gave us back, they left about a 20 yard strip around the creeks of whatever vegatation that was growing there to prevent erroision and keep the DEQ off their behinds.  When I got in our hunting club almost 20 years ago we had mixed oaks, pines, cypress, gum, etc  on the land. Weyerhauser Timber purchased the property about  our second year and began raping the land. The previous owner had a select cut program established, the woods was thick enough for deer, and open enough for turkeys. They logged it every so many years. When Weyerhauser came in they have cut evertything and planted it back in only pine trees. They are now clear cutting the pines that they replanted. Our turkey numbers went to crap. We have at the present time about 3 thousand acres of fresh to 3 year old clear cuts. The fresh clear cuts are ok the first year, but after that its usless for turkeys, squirrels, doves, etc. I'm just venting on the topic......................

BOFF

Quote from: TANK on February 24, 2011, 04:36:39 PM

God Bless,
David B.
How is clear cutting necessary from a timber managment viewpoint at times? What would be some of the times you are talkin about? Like I said after the hurricanes it was more of a timber recovery than anything else. We didn't have beetles killing the trees. The "necessity" was $$$$$$. I understand thats the business they are in but they also preach this crap about how they give back to the land & wildlife, I'll tell you what they gave us back, they left about a 20 yard strip around the creeks of whatever vegatation that was growing there to prevent erroision and keep the DEQ off their behinds.  When I got in our hunting club almost 20 years ago we had mixed oaks, pines, cypress, gum, etc  on the land. Weyerhauser Timber purchased the property about  our second year and began raping the land. The previous owner had a select cut program established, the woods was thick enough for deer, and open enough for turkeys. They logged it every so many years. When Weyerhauser came in they have cut evertything and planted it back in only pine trees. They are now clear cutting the pines that they replanted. Our turkey numbers went to crap. We have at the present time about 3 thousand acres of fresh to 3 year old clear cuts. The fresh clear cuts are ok the first year, but after that its usless for turkeys, squirrels, doves, etc. I'm just venting on the topic......................

I understand your frustration. Did you ever consider some clear cuts which are not planted, provide a safe nesting ground for the turkeys? Clear open hardwoods and open planted pines provide no nesting grounds.

Weyerhaeuser doesn't have to lease the land, which it purchased to make money off of to begin with in the first place. I hope you don't think the money you pay for the lease is enough to cover the expenses of the land Weyerhaeuser purchased, and the taxes on the land. Have you every payed for the machinery, diesel fuel, tools, prep treatment, labor for workers, pine seedlings,  chemicals, taxes etc., to manage the land with trees? It is not cheap!!

As for the stream side management techniques, that is NOT REQUIRED!!!!! It is a technique most timber companies elect to take, but not all of them do it. As for a management of better timber, it's not the best idea in my opinion, due to regeneration of trees not wanted in the pines.

For the select cut, particularly hardwoods, one can only cut so many times before nothing is left. Hardwoods just take too long to grow from a business standpoint. Buy the time interest is paid on the land bought, over a period of years, there is no way hardwoods are going to pay for the land. Pines, even now with the poor prices, don't pay for the land.

As for clear cutting the pines, it is best practice to clear cut them, burn, poison, and replant to keep other seedling from intermixing in the forest. Yes it is from a money viewpoint, but it takes money to be able to hold onto the land YOU hunt. Why do you think the previous land owner sold the land to Weyerhaeuser? It could be he/she/they didn't have enough money to manage the land, or hold on to it, and it was sold for the MONEY.

If you are so upset about the land being managed the way it is, buy your own land, manage it the way you want to, and pay for it at the same time.  I understand the frustration you may have, but it can always get worse. The land companies don't have to lease the lands.  The land companies could develop the lands for commercial sites, residential sites, etc. and then it isn't even piece of land suitable for ANY wildlife.

Just my thoughts as well. I'm not attempting to be a rear end,  and I do understand the disappointment of not having a familiar, reliable place to hunt, particularly at the beginning of season.  :-[

God Bless,
David B.

runngun

David you are absolutly positively 100 percent right on.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

TANK

Quote from: BOFF on February 24, 2011, 08:14:19 PM

God Bless,
David B.

I understand your frustration. Did you ever consider some clear cuts which are not planted, provide a safe nesting ground for the turkeys? Clear open hardwoods and open planted pines provide no nesting grounds.

Weyerhaeuser doesn't have to lease the land, which it purchased to make money off of to begin with in the first place. I hope you don't think the money you pay for the lease is enough to cover the expenses of the land Weyerhaeuser purchased, and the taxes on the land. Have you every payed for the machinery, diesel fuel, tools, prep treatment, labor for workers, pine seedlings,  chemicals, taxes etc., to manage the land with trees? It is not cheap!!

As for the stream side management techniques, that is NOT REQUIRED!!!!! It is a technique most timber companies elect to take, but not all of them do it. As for a management of better timber, it's not the best idea in my opinion, due to regeneration of trees not wanted in the pines.

For the select cut, particularly hardwoods, one can only cut so many times before nothing is left. Hardwoods just take too long to grow from a business standpoint. Buy the time interest is paid on the land bought, over a period of years, there is no way hardwoods are going to pay for the land. Pines, even now with the poor prices, don't pay for the land.

As for clear cutting the pines, it is best practice to clear cut them, burn, poison, and replant to keep other seedling from intermixing in the forest. Yes it is from a money viewpoint, but it takes money to be able to hold onto the land YOU hunt. Why do you think the previous land owner sold the land to Weyerhaeuser? It could be he/she/they didn't have enough money to manage the land, or hold on to it, and it was sold for the MONEY.

If you are so upset about the land being managed the way it is, buy your own land, manage it the way you want to, and pay for it at the same time.  I understand the frustration you may have, but it can always get worse. The land companies don't have to lease the lands.  The land companies could develop the lands for commercial sites, residential sites, etc. and then it isn't even piece of land suitable for ANY wildlife.

Just my thoughts as well. I'm not attempting to be a rear end,  and I do understand the disappointment of not having a familiar, reliable place to hunt, particularly at the beginning of season.  :-[

God Bless,
David B.
I understand what you are saying. Everything revolves around the dollar. My Great Grandpa, Grandpa, and Dad have all been loggers.  We could go back and forth on this for a long time. We both have different opinions on this. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you either way......... As for the land I will never be able to afford a 9000 acre piece like our lease, but one day I will purchase property when I can afford it and do the things you suggested. The streamside management practice sounds good on tv and in magazines, about leaving mast trees for the wildlife and all, but the wildlife doesn't really get that much use from what we get left, sweet gum, japanese tallow, elm, etc. After they clear cut, they wind row and burn within 3-4 months, then row and plant with illegal imegrant labor (seen the Border Patrol get after 'em), maybe grade the roads, then furtilize with a plane 2-3 times before they start over again........They have never came back and done a controlled burn, that would help tremindusly! You seem like a pretty good fella, so I hope you don't think I'm sounding like a rear end either, just venting a little..........Our engineer at work used to work for Weyerhauser. He said one of the reasons we get as much clear cutting here was because we are suppose to have this "Super Soil" that grows pine trees very very fast. I can't remember all the details but yall had better be glad we are the lucky ones with dirt the pines love!!!!! lol

nstrut

if i had my way there would never be another tree cut period.the big trees are all gone.every tree we cut now our kids, there  kids, will never see a big old tree again..i plant trees every year they are all put  in the ground at a angle so they will grow crooked..they will be good for wild life but not good for the chain saw..here in  s.e.ohio there are very very few trees big enough to set your back against and be safe hunting turkey

BOFF

Quote from: TANK on February 24, 2011, 09:05:21 PM
Quote from: BOFF on February 24, 2011, 08:14:19 PM

From a timber management viewpoint, clear cutting is a necessity at times. Seems most people like to take from the land, but not give anything back to it.  Just my opinion.

God Bless,
David B.
How is clear cutting necessary from a timber managment viewpoint at times? What would be some of the times you are talkin about? Like I said after the hurricanes it was more of a timber recovery than anything else. We didn't have beetles killing the trees. The "necessity" was $$$$$$. I understand thats the business they are in but they also preach this crap about how they give back to the land & wildlife, I'll tell you what they gave us back, they left about a 20 yard strip around the creeks of whatever vegatation that was growing there to prevent erroision and keep the DEQ off their behinds.  When I got in our hunting club almost 20 years ago we had mixed oaks, pines, cypress, gum, etc  on the land. Weyerhauser Timber purchased the property about  our second year and began raping the land. The previous owner had a select cut program established, the woods was thick enough for deer, and open enough for turkeys. They logged it every so many years. When Weyerhauser came in they have cut evertything and planted it back in only pine trees. They are now clear cutting the pines that they replanted. Our turkey numbers went to crap. We have at the present time about 3 thousand acres of fresh to 3 year old clear cuts. The fresh clear cuts are ok the first year, but after that its usless for turkeys, squirrels, doves, etc. I'm just venting on the topic......................

Weyerhaeuser doesn't have to lease the land, which it purchased to make money off of to begin with in the first place. I hope you don't think the money you pay for the lease is enough to cover the expenses of the land Weyerhaeuser purchased, and the taxes on the land. Have you every payed for the machinery, diesel fuel, tools, prep treatment, labor for workers, pine seedlings,  chemicals, taxes etc., to manage the land with trees? It is not cheap!!

If you are so upset about the land being managed the way it is, buy your own land, manage it the way you want to, and pay for it at the same time.  I understand the frustration you may have, but it can always get worse. The land companies don't have to lease the lands.  The land companies could develop the lands for commercial sites, residential sites, etc. and then it isn't even piece of land suitable for ANY wildlife.

Just my thoughts as well. I'm not attempting to be a rear end,  and I do understand the disappointment of not having a familiar, reliable place to hunt, particularly at the beginning of season.  :-[

God Bless,
David B.
I understand what you are saying. Everything revolves around the dollar. My Great Grandpa, Grandpa, and Dad have all been loggers.  We could go back and forth on this for a long time. We both have different opinions on this. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you either way......... As for the land I will never be able to afford a 9000 acre piece like our lease, but one day I will purchase property when I can afford it and do the things you suggested. The streamside management practice sounds good on tv and in magazines, about leaving mast trees for the wildlife and all, but the wildlife doesn't really get that much use from what we get left, sweet gum, japanese tallow, elm, etc. After they clear cut, they wind row and burn within 3-4 months, then row and plant with illegal imegrant labor (seen the Border Patrol get after 'em), maybe grade the roads, then furtilize with a plane 2-3 times before they start over again........They have never came back and done a controlled burn, that would help tremindusly! You seem like a pretty good fella, so I hope you don't think I'm sounding like a rear end either, just venting a little..........Our engineer at work used to work for Weyerhauser. He said one of the reasons we get as much clear cutting here was because we are suppose to have this "Super Soil" that grows pine trees very very fast. I can't remember all the details but yall had better be glad we are the lucky ones with dirt the pines love!!!!! lol

You don't read like a rear end at all. You read like a turkey hunter having great expectations of the season, which have suddenly been taken from him without any of his control. As for the controlled burns, being an individual like myself instead of a company, and  the property's location, makes it easier to do. I won't get into the reasons.

Good luck in your season. May you find new ground, or find the old, to produce a successful season.

God Bless,
David B.