stopping logging

Started by saint, February 23, 2011, 08:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saint

is there orgazations that help stop logging there destroying our hunting in va

FttFttVroom!

Is the land owned by the paper company?

saltysenior

try greenpeace,peta,friends of animals,audubon,save the planet,ect.... their websites will give you info on how you can help stop ''logging''... :anim_25:

knightrider

public or private you left out major details with your blanket statement

saint

its gov land theres a guy on here called outlaw hes trying to stop it he probly will to he dont play games

socalturkeyman

I wouldnt stop it,cuz then you'll have a habitat problem thats really big. Plus if you get it stopped it will mostlikely never start again. And you'll be the one begging to have them log it. If anything you should try to get them to do some selective logging. Trust you dont want it to turn into San Bernardino national forest in california. Now all the trees are sick and theyre ripping that forest apart to rebuild it.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

mossybird

I hope not, I live in VA but my dads job is a logger

socalturkeyman

I dont think the logging makes for bad hunting in MHO. I think not logging an area is bad for habitat,since Ive seen it first hand in some of the areas in so.cal.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

BoWhoop

Well, if its government land they are probably NOT going to quit.  Its a revenue stream for our government and money is pretty tight.  I just wish they would quit selective burning throughout the month of April in SC.  No telling how many nests get toasted...

TANK

I am a fan of logging 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a fan of Clear Cutting 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only time I have seen where the woods & wildlife has benefitted from clear cutting was after hurricanes Katrina, Rita, & Gustave. Some blocks of woods was so torn up from the wind it wouldn't have been beneficial to a rabbit...............

FttFttVroom!

They do it in conjunction with wildlife department down in southeast Oklahoma.  Ony certain areas are harvested and then replanted each year...lending to some pretty nice and diverse habitat.  You want good distribution of age classes inall types of nature...trees included.  Nothing worse than a monoculture of old pines and nothing in the understory.

BowBendr

I could only wish they'd start logging again on some of our NF land here in NC. Tree huggers have helped to eliminate all 2nd growth forest and have helped in damaging major amounts of grouse and quail habitat. Give Smokey a drip torch and lets fire up some saws. Old growth forest don't sustain wildlife populations easily.

runngun

You aint gonna stop it. You aint gonna slow it down. They still use trees to make stuff, and that aint never gonna stop. It is a renewable resource.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

knightrider

Quote from: BowBendr on February 23, 2011, 09:58:54 PM
I could only wish they'd start logging again on some of our NF land here in NC. Tree huggers have helped to eliminate all 2nd growth forest and have helped in damaging major amounts of grouse and quail habitat. Give Smokey a drip torch and lets fire up some saws. Old growth forest don't sustain wildlife populations easily.
:you_rock:

BOFF

Quote from: TANK on February 23, 2011, 09:43:20 PM
I am a fan of logging 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a fan of Clear Cutting 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only time I have seen where the woods & wildlife has benefitted from clear cutting was after hurricanes Katrina, Rita, & Gustave. Some blocks of woods was so torn up from the wind it wouldn't have been beneficial to a rabbit...............

There is absolutely nothing wrong with clear cutting. The problem is clear cutting and not putting back into the land with proper prep treatment and replanting.

From a timber management viewpoint, clear cutting is a necessity at times. Seems most people like to take from the land, but not give anything back to it.  Just my opinion.

God Bless,
David B.