turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 Turkey Thug?

Started by nogoodreezen, March 18, 2012, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nogoodreezen

Hey guys I am new to the site and relatively new to turkey hunting. I just picked up an 835 thug gun and wondered what opinions people might have of the gun. I am also looking for suggestions on chokes and shells. I have only turkey hunted a few times and only with borrowed equipment so this is all new to me. If it was a bow I would know exactly where to start but not so much with this shotgun stuff. Thanks for any insight.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

coyotetrpr

I have that exact gun with a hevishot choke. I shoot the magblends out of it. In the pattern pics section under turkey thug you can see the pattern. I thought I stepped off 40 yards, but when I measured it was 50. Hope this helps. On a side note this gun and these shells flat kick really hard. I am a solid guy and they jarred me pretty good. I would have still bought it even if I knew how bad it kicked. Love the gun.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Philippe

Chokes, Pure Gold .670, Indian Creek .675, Tru Glo SSX, lead shells i'd go with Winchester XX 3.5 2 1/4oz 6's or 5's. Alot of these guys are gonna tell ya to pick up Hevi-13 3 1/2 7's.

richieii

I bought the same gun this year, patterned pure gold and Jellyhead. The Jellyhead seemed to pattern just a little better.

VAHUNTER

the 835 is a excellant choice!!! the 835 is capable of producing patterns as good and BETTER than guns that cost twice as much.
there has been pages of testing posted on OG with the 835.
i found what i was looking for with a PureGold .670 and Hevi 13 21/4oz #6's
Good things come to those who wait

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nogoodreezen on March 18, 2012, 07:58:33 PM
Hey guys I am new to the site and relatively new to turkey hunting. I just picked up an 835 thug gun and wondered what opinions people might have of the gun. I am also looking for suggestions on chokes and shells. I have only turkey hunted a few times and only with borrowed equipment so this is all new to me. If it was a bow I would know exactly where to start but not so much with this shotgun stuff. Thanks for any insight.

First of all, welcome to OG. We're glad you're here and looking forward to hearing more from you.

The "Turkey Thug" series has become very popular and many hunters and shooters are reporting success with those guns. The 835 is an excellent platform and has been for many years.

I have a few recommendations and you'll hear many others of course. I've been shooting those guns since shortly after they were introduced and the absolute best recommendation that I can make is to "deep clean" the bore of your gun. You can read the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" by clicking on my banner below. That process helps so much.

There are 3 turkey chokes that I've found to work especially well in the 835 & 935 shotguns.

The SSX, the Hevi-13 and the Pure Gold. They are all excellent chokes, quite different in design but all rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot. Any of them will deliver turkey killing patterns at 40 yards.

Shotshells are also a very important component to getting your best pattern. I recommend 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. The 3" shells will deliver excellent patterns and allow you to get back on target quickly, if you need a second shot for any reason. The #7 shot with that same shell is an excellent choice as well.

If you prefer to shoot lead shot, I'd recommend the Winchester HV (Black Shells) with #6 shot. The 3" shell has 1.75 oz. of shot and the 3.5" has 2 oz. of shot. Both are good loads and will do the job for you.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy your new gun and have a great spring turkey season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

paladin

835 was my first turkey gun also.
I bought it because it was 3.5" and all camo.
I got lucky, they are great, so did you.
The bore is larger than most 12 gauges. It is called "overbored". It makes for great patterns. Deep clean and polish the barrel. read sticky at the top of page.
I use winchester supreme 2oz #5 3.5" with a stardot.
"have gun-will travel"

oldcreekhunter

take that 835 and a boat and you have a paddle...lol! shouldve got an 870. couldnt stand not to do what everyone else does. i wouldnt mind owning the turkey thug but after a few past experiences with an 835 i wasnt impressed. i guess there are lemons in all things    :turkey2:

nogoodreezen

Quote from: oldcreekhunter on March 20, 2012, 08:14:43 PM
take that 835 and a boat and you have a paddle...lol! shouldve got an 870. couldnt stand not to do what everyone else does. i wouldnt mind owning the turkey thug but after a few past experiences with an 835 i wasnt impressed. i guess there are lemons in all things    :turkey2:
Thanks for the help. I see shotgunning is just like archery. My brand is awesome, your brand sucks.

chatterbox

I have an 835 with a SumToy .675 choke, and shoot hevi-13 3.5-2.25-6's and get very nice patterns with it.
I love my 835.

oldcreekhunter

Quote from: nogoodreezen on March 20, 2012, 10:28:35 PM
Quote from: oldcreekhunter on March 20, 2012, 08:14:43 PM
Thanks for the help. I see shotgunning is just like archery. My brand is awesome, your brand sucks.

ya it gets like that on here, but i was only picking.