turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening day Osceola down!!

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 18, 2012, 04:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Opening day where I was hunting was foggy. It shut the birds down, no gobbling at all on the roost. I got set up in an area I know quite well and had killed gobblers at before. As light broke, I started doing some soft calling, and soon I heard a turkey flydown to my right. Out of the fog a hen materialized. She hung around for a couple of minutes before heading down the trail. Later in the morning I saw another hen, but it was slow hunting. The fog burned off, so I got up to slip around and check the fields in the area, using the woods to cover my movement. The last field I checked held 2 hens and 3 does, all feeding contentedly.

Arriving back at my set up, Flhuntress (who was there to video my hunt) told me there were 2 birds in the field next to us, but she wasn't sure what they were. I eased around to take a look and spotted 2 hens at the back of the field. While I was watching them, a third turkey came out of the woods, spotted the hens and broke into a full strut! I eased down into my seat, and called to the gobbler. He turned and saw my decoy spread, which consisted of B-Mobile with a real fan mounting a hen, and my secret weapon ultra realistic hen ;) off to the side. Boys will be boys though, and he turned from the 2 real hens and started walking my way from about 250 yards out. :icon_thumright:

As he approached he popped into and out of strut. Whenever he dropped out of strut, I would give him a few soft, reassuring yelps and clucks. While he was still 150 yards out, 2 more real hens came out of the woods and walked to him. I figured the game was up and they would take him away. But he was set on whipping up on B-Mobile :chucknorris: and walked right past the 2 hens. 125 yards out, he went back into a strut, and never let it down again. He started cutting a sharp angle towards my set up. I told Flhuntress to get ready to start videoing. Finally, he arrived in all his glory. He was in full strut, approaching with a stiff legged walk, and his feathers shining in the bright sunlight.
Halfway to my dekes, he stopped, turned and stared right through us. But we were well camoed and had a good hide, and he was on a mission. He turned, and continued spitting and drumming all the way in. His body shook as he did so. It was an incredible show!! I should have let him put on more of a show, but I wasn't taking any chances, so BOOM!!! :fud: And down he went. Now I'm waiting for my next hunt and another chance at an adrenalin rush! :drool:

He weighed 18 lbs. 3 ozs., had a 10-1/2" beard, and sported sharp 1" and 1-1/8" spurs, scoring 60.4375.

Here's the link to video.
http://youtu.be/N_3u2mlHQBE

And here's the pic.

Roostem33

Way to get off to a good start, Congratulations!!!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

JVA54

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

guesswho

Congrats on the turkey bird Jim.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

vaturkey

Vaturkey

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

pseshooter300

Tater