turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Speaking of chufas

Started by camp man, February 23, 2011, 07:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camp man

Why is it legal to hunt over a patch of chufas but not a feeder full of scratch feed, corn ,wheat or chufas for that matter? I don't see the difference. A turkey don't have a chance either way if patterned to the feed source...????

guesswho

I don't know campman, doesn't make a lot of sense.  I don't plant anything.  I just figure I can fill my tags quicker than I can plant a food plot and get it ready, plus I enjoy it more.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

camp man

Spurs

My guess is because a food plot is always available and it doesn't "attract" them at specific times of the day.  If you have a corn feeder out, you can just about time when/where/how the will come to it....a food plot isn't so gauranteed. 

I will be planting some sort of food plot this year, but it won't be matured until after turkey season goes out.....a poult patch more or less.  I don't have the luxury that some people have with multiple birds year in and year out, so I am trying everything I can to keep the ones that actually hatch.
This year is going to suck!!!

jv

The way i see it is that one is a food plot and the other is just plain old baiting......
Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.

Basser69

Our food plots are planed for deer in the fall and the turkeys just happen to love them in the fall.

sugarray

Quote from: jv on February 24, 2011, 08:35:55 AM
The way i see it is that one is a food plot and the other is just plain old baiting......

What is a food plot if it isn't bait??

PANYHunter

Quote from: Spurs on February 23, 2011, 08:43:32 PM
My guess is because a food plot is always available and it doesn't "attract" them at specific times of the day.  If you have a corn feeder out, you can just about time when/where/how the will come to it....a food plot isn't so gauranteed.

What Spurs said.  You cant put a timer on a food plot. 

yellowacorns

[quote author=Spurs link=topic=2118.msg25543#msg25543 I will be planting some sort of food plot this year, but it won't be matured until after turkey season goes out.....a poult patch more or less.  I don't have the luxury that some people have with multiple birds year in and year out, so I am trying everything I can to keep the ones that actually hatch.
[/quote]

I have the same problem,  I cant keep the birds all year.  the timer and yellowacorns may be the only way to get them relocated.  I am gona try it this fall!

Gobble!

LOVE the topic

Quote from: PANYHunter on February 24, 2011, 10:59:29 AM
Quote from: Spurs on February 23, 2011, 08:43:32 PM

What Spurs said.  You cant put a timer on a food plot. 

if I don't put a timer on it what is the difference

Gobble!

sugarray

Timer doesn't mean anything anyway.  My FIL feeds corn all winter long.  The deer and turkey that come through are very erratic.  His feeder feeds twice a day.  Morning and evening.  Timer has nothing to do with it.  If they find a food source that they like, they will put that area into their cycle throughout the day.

Gobble!

Another question I have is we feed our cattle corn in the winter. The corn passes right through the cattle then along come the turkeys to scratch through the crap to get the corn.

If I hunt over a pile of cow crap is that the same as baiting?

stinkpickle

Quote from: Gobble! on February 24, 2011, 12:58:22 PM
Another question I have is we feed our cattle corn in the winter. The corn passes right through the cattle then along come the turkeys to scratch through the crap to get the corn.

If I hunt over a pile of cow crap is that the same as baiting?

If you eat the corn, poop it, and hunt over it...it might be considered baiting.  Stink baiting...but baiting nonetheless.   :D

camp man

Chufa patches are used heavily around here. Guys that use them put out trail cameras and blinds on them. They time the birds with the trail cameras.I've seen it first hand. That should be considered baiting.