OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mechanic Question?

Started by guesswho, February 23, 2011, 05:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Quote from: mason0366 on February 23, 2011, 06:19:26 PM
IT might be the heater core. They put some with drain tube to keep them from leaking inside. Alot of times you can smell antifreeze inside or put a film on windshields. Is the leak on pas sagerside?
No leak inside, but the hose would be on the passenger side.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TurkeyScratch

Does this truck have a transmission cooling system? That tube may have come unhooked?

redarrow

IT might be the heater core. They put some with drain tube to keep them from leaking inside. Alot of times you can smell antifreeze inside or put a film on windshields. Is the leak on pas sagerside?
Good thought. Is the windshield steaming up?As far as freeze plugs,if you can get to it with
room to swing a hammer you can DIY.

guesswho

Quote from: redarrow on February 23, 2011, 06:24:20 PM
Good thought. Is the windshield steaming up?As far as freeze plugs,if you can get to it with
room to swing a hammer you can DIY.
Me, a hammer, my truck, and swinging, are four phrase that should not be put together. 

The winshield is not fogging up or anything like that. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Quote from: TurkeyScratch on February 23, 2011, 06:22:14 PM
Does this truck have a transmission cooling system? That tube may have come unhooked?
I have no idea.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

mason0366

IDk were you live do have to defrost. Yhat when it will fog up.

redarrow

OK I got your fix for ya. S Disconnect your upper and lower heater hosers. At the fire wall and connect them together with pipe of the proper size and a couple clamps. You will be by passing the heater entirely. If the leak stops you need a heater core.If you cant join them together then fold them over and put a clamp on them separately.

bird

Sounds like to me you need to take her to a mechanic.

1.  To get a "correct" diagnois.

2.  And to get it fixed correctly! 

bird

Quote from: bird on February 23, 2011, 06:37:49 PM

PS.... No charge on my expert advice. (This Time)  :smiley-char092:

guesswho

Quote from: redarrow on February 23, 2011, 06:35:09 PM
OK I got your fix for ya. S Disconnect your upper and lower heater hosers. At the fire wall and connect them together with pipe of the proper size and a couple clamps. You will be by passing the heater entirely. If the leak stops you need a heater core.If you cant join them together then fold them over and put a clamp on them separately.
I might try that tomorrow.  I only see one hose though.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

I may just shoot her and put me out of my misery.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

bird

Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2011, 06:46:12 PM

Well if you do then don't forget to video the shooting.  :fud:

Crutch

If this just started, and a warm enough place not to need your defrost you wouldn't have noticed the funky sweet smell of Anti Freeze in your defrost vents or heater. If you run your AC on full blast, with the windows open and your condensor coil starts making water (like it is supposed to) and water runs from the same drain tube that antifreeze is coming out of then 99 percent bad heater coil. They should be in the same compartment under the dash, passenger side. If your hoses under the hood aren't getting as warm as quickly as you think they should you may be low on water. Keep an eye on your water level, it will drop rapily under pressure with a leak. If the drain you are speaking of comes out of the tranny bellhousing then the freeze plug sounds right. If the drain goes into the firewall (heater/AC compartment) it will be the heater coil, or an internal pipe to the heater coil. Some heater coils have pipes crimped onto the coil and use an O ring that could be leaking.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

guesswho

Quote from: bird on February 23, 2011, 06:51:24 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2011, 06:46:12 PM

1.  To get a "correct" diagnois.

2.  And to get it fixed correctly!  

Well if you do then don't forget to video the shooting.  :fud:
I've done a lot of things in my life that I wish was on video, I'll be sure and capture this event though.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Quote from: Crutch on February 23, 2011, 07:01:49 PM
If this just started, and a warm enough place not to need your defrost you wouldn't have noticed the funky sweet smell of Anti Freeze in your defrost vents or heater. If you run your AC on full blast, with the windows open and your condensor coil starts making water (like it is supposed to) and water runs from the same drain tube that antifreeze is coming out of then 99 percent bad heater coil. They should be in the same compartment under the dash, passenger side. If your hoses under the hood aren't getting as warm as quickly as you think they should you may be low on water. Keep an eye on your water level, it will drop rapily under pressure with a leak. If the drain you are speaking of comes out of the tranny bellhousing then the freeze plug sounds right. If the drain goes into the firewall (heater/AC compartment) it will be the heater coil, or an internal pipe to the heater coil. Some heater coils have pipes crimped onto the coil and use an O ring that could be leaking.
I'm thinking heater core now.  I found two hoses that go into the firewall just then that sit side by side.  I'm guessing thats where the water goes to the heater core.  Tomorrow I'm going to try and disconnect them and run them together likke someone else mentioned.  If this fixes the leak I can live without the heater.  This will probably be worth videoing as well.  I usually invent some new words when I start on projects like this.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff