OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mechanic Question?

Started by guesswho, February 23, 2011, 05:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Since I can't figire out where my diaphram is at I'd figured I'd work on my truck.   98 Expedition, 5.4 4x4.   It is leaking radiator fluid out of what appears to be a drain tube right above a transmission line at the transmission.   I can't figure it out.   Bright idea was to just plug the drain hose, didn't work.  Ok, I figured maybe bad thermostat so I replace it, still leaks.  I let the engine run about 15 minutes and neither radiator hose is warm ,like it's not circulating the water, but yet it leaks out of this drain hose.   It has about ms many miles on it as I have on me, even though I have more leaks.  Any idea what the problem may be? 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

FireDoc

I know nothing about trucks, but your diaphragm might be in the drawer in the dresser next to the bed. Try there.  :goofball:

PS: I am long out of that syrup you sent. That stuff is like Liquid Crack. That man needs to be distributing Nationwide!  :icon_thumright:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

stinkpickle

guesswho

Quote from: FireDoc on February 23, 2011, 05:52:52 PM
PS: I am long out of that syrup you sent. That stuff is like Liquid Crack. That man needs to be distributing Nationwide!  :icon_thumright:
Yep!  Mr Kearsey has it going on with that stuff :icon_thumright:
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

guesswho

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 23, 2011, 05:59:28 PM
water pump, maybe
Thats probably going to be my next project, but I figure I'd ask for some opinions.  Any idea why the water leaks out of the tube?
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

gob09

guesswho

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 23, 2011, 06:04:37 PM
Sound something like this?...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/759031-coolant-leak-issue.html
No, not really.  It's leaking underneath way back by the transmission from a rubber hose that is not attached on one end, like a drain tube.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Quote from: gob09 on February 23, 2011, 06:06:34 PM
over full maybe
Wouldn't the radiator hoses get hot though.  It's like no water is flowing through them.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2011, 06:06:19 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on February 23, 2011, 05:59:28 PM
water pump, maybe
Thats probably going to be my next project, but I figure I'd ask for some opinions.  Any idea why the water leaks out of the tube?

At first, I was guessing it was some kinda water pump weep hole drain tube...or something.  ?

guesswho

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 23, 2011, 06:11:39 PM
At first, I was guessing it was some kinda water pump weep hole drain tube...or something.  ?
That would make sense.  But the other end of the drain tube goes into the firewall towards the heater coil, but I'm not sure where it attaches.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

redarrow

Where is the other end connected. Sound like an overflow tube. Remove the cap,if it has one,look inside radiator  and see if the coolant is circulating.

mossybird

This is from a mechanic thats been in the business for 41 years(Grandpa)- Freeze plug going bad at the back of the engine between engine and transmission. Hope it helps

guesswho

Quote from: mossybird on February 23, 2011, 06:16:13 PM
This is from a mechanic thats been in the business for 41 years(Grandpa)- Freeze plug going bad at the back of the engine between engine and transmission. Hope it helps
Freeze plug?  Is that something a yahoo like myself could replace, or would it be a job for a mechanic? 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

mason0366

IT might be the heater core. They put some with drain tube to keep them from leaking inside. Alot of times you can smell antifreeze inside or put a film on windshields. Is the leak on passager side?