OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ms. Wicked spoke this morning

Started by Beretta686, March 15, 2012, 09:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

Ms. Wicked was a little ornery last season and bit me with her scope. But she got a new warm house this off season with a dehumidifier and safe from all.

Today was the first opening day in Alabama I wasn't leaning on the same tree waiting to hear the first gobble in the past 17 years. My friend is cutting the timber on the place. So new season, new plans, I headed to another piece of property with a chuffa patch on it. I planted it last June and the turkeys have been hammering it.

I wanted to get to the chuffa patch before daylight, but with the dense fog in the area, it took me 20 min longer to get there than I figured. I cut across a field and slipped into a creek bottom to get to the chuffa patch. I hadn't made it ½ way to the chuffa patch when the first gobbler hammered to my left. I told myself to keep walking. When another 3 strated up around me I said okay, why walk past birds when I have birds here. I got set up and with the first call I was answered by all the gobblers around me. Things then got interesting, there were several birds going crazy around the chuffas, but I was committed to these birds. One bird pitched down on the other side of the ridge to the field that I just crossed. He stood there gobbling in the field walking back and forth. All of a sudden I heard drumming behind me. I couldn't get spun around and just sat there looking out of the corner of my eyes and seeing nothing. All of a sudden the bird in the field walked back up on the ridge in front of me and hammered. He was close, but just needed to walk down the edge. I had the gun up and ready for him to appear. The next time I heard him 30 seconds later he was back in the field gobbling.

While all this was going on the gobblers at the chuffa patch were going nuts still. I waited another 10 min and then made the decision to head to the chuffa patch.  The chuffa patch is located just past a large food plot on the other ridge so I headed up out of the bottom. I eased up and saw no turkeys in the food plot. Across the food plot the road goes straight and then curves. At the curve is the chuffa patch. I skirted the edge of the food plot and then just could not go any further without getting busted. I set up in a clump of trees like an island at the end of the food plot. My first call was answered by several gobblers. It sounded like they walked off the field into another bottom and I almost made the mistake of moving forward. I called one more time and they hammered just past the shooting house on the food plot. The first gobbler stepped into the road at the end of the food plot and looked around. When the second one stepped out I had the scope where the feathers meet the skin. The first one walked into the woods going back into the bottom when I squeezed the trigger and let Ms. Wicked speak. The gobbler went down and was DRT.

By the time I made it back to the barn the fog had settled in.

Chuffa patch. The dark spots that look like dead grass is fresh scratching.

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

cannonball

coyotetrpr

Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

pseshooter300

Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

Wingbone

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Rio Fan

JVA54

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Turkeykiller12

Good Job! Congrats on all those gobblers you've got running around that place.

Eric Gregg

Great story and congrats on the success

BowBendr

Awesome bird and a great read. Congrats.  :icon_thumright:

chatterbox

Great story, and a fine bird! Congrats!

longspur

jakebird

Great hunt! Congrats and thanks for the story. Got my heart rate up a bit!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?