Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do most guys pattern a gun freehand or use a bench?

Started by Ocoee Ridge Runner, March 15, 2012, 07:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I bought a new SX3 and IC .675 choke for turkey season. I am shooting Hevi-13 3.5/2.25/6 at a large cardboard square with a ten inch circle drawn in the middle set at a measured 40 yards. I am setting on the ground and shooting freehand to simulate my actual hunting setup and I am averaging 135 spread evenly across the circle with the majority in the upper part of the cirle and about 50-60 pellets hitting just outside the top of the circle.
Will using a bench increase my numbers significantly or should I be getting more shooting freehand?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Ocoee Ridge Runner on March 15, 2012, 07:41:35 PM
I bought a new SX3 and IC .675 choke for turkey season. I am shooting Hevi-13 3.5/2.25/6 at a large cardboard square with a ten inch circle drawn in the middle set at a measured 40 yards. I am setting on the ground and shooting freehand to simulate my actual hunting setup and I am averaging 135 spread evenly across the circle with the majority in the upper part of the cirle and about 50-60 pellets hitting just outside the top of the circle.
Will using a bench increase my numbers significantly or should I be getting more shooting freehand?

I shoot both ways but always find that I have a different POI when I shoot from a seated (turkey hunting position) than when I'm shooting from the bench.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

unclerick

Myself, I do both, I'll start out on a bench with a solid rest till I'm getting what I want or close to it, then I go free hand to dail it in to where I'm comfortable with the pattern.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

beagler

Never Misses

Philippe

Either shoot from a lead sled if i am going to be shooting alot of tests patterns or if its just a few shots sometimes i'll just shoot from my little turkey lounger.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Zero it on the bench.

Check it from a hunting position afterwards.

sugarray

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 15, 2012, 09:01:18 PM
Zero it on the bench.

Always!!

Also, don't draw your circle until AFTER you shoot.  Sounds like you might be off a little

Longshanks

Test off a bench rest to test the gun..freehand to test the shooter..

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I dont own a shooting bench, would a shooting stick suffice?

sugarray

I don't either, just sand bags on the tail gait of my truck.   You just want a good, solid rest so you don't wave around.  Then if you have to adjust your sites, a rest that will hold your gun so you can adjust them without the gun moving.

What full set up are you shooting, i.e. barrel length, sites, etc.  Also, if you can post up pics of your pattern we can help you out a little better.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

Im shooting just a single bead on a 26' barrel. I am going to shoot some 4x4 paper tomorrow aiming for the center and will circle where the pattern seems to be hitting and post some pics. I talked with IC today and they said I should be getting around 170.

sugarray

Quote from: Ocoee Ridge Runner on March 15, 2012, 09:48:15 PM
Im shooting just a single bead on a 26' barrel. I am going to shoot some 4x4 paper tomorrow aiming for the center and will circle where the pattern seems to be hitting and post some pics. I talked with IC today and they said I should be getting around 170.

You've got it!   I think you'll be surprised.

hookedspur

LEAD SLED !!!!

I'm old and have been pounded on enough ...
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sharxfan

Quote from: sugarray on March 15, 2012, 09:06:01 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 15, 2012, 09:01:18 PM
Zero it on the bench.

Always!!

Also, don't draw your circle until AFTER you shoot.  Sounds like you might be off a little

Why draw your circle after you shoot? When I am sighting in I use a 10" rimfire target and aim at the center of the target so that I can siimulate aiming at a turkeys head. It also lets me know that my POA and POI are the same. Am I doing this wrong?

cannonball

I use a bench with sand bags. I then shoot from a sitting hunting posotion to make sure everything looks good.