turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke tube for Mossy 500 20 ga

Started by NHhuntr, March 15, 2012, 01:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHhuntr

Hello all this is my first post.  This will be my second season at turkey hunting (most fun you have sitting down :)!.  I'm setting up my Mossy 20 ga 24" barrel and  am looking to find what others have found to be a good choke,load combo for this gun.  I'd like to try the Fed HW #7 and see how  it performs.  The choke I have now is the Mossberg turkey choke which is lead only.  I just pulled the trigger on a Burris ii fast fire after much research, figured it would be good also when I changed to the rifled barrel for deer.  Been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks, lot's of good stuff here.  Thanks in advance.

knightrider

my mossy twenty shoots great with primos tightwad and jayssporting goods has them for 21 bucks right now

NHhuntr

Thanks Knightrider, that's what I was looking for.  What round are you using?
I want to get my gun set up before I start scouting.

Dallen92

I have the same gun with a 22 inch barrel and got mid 130s in a 10 inch circle with mine at 40 yards using the .572 non-ported undertaker with the federal heavyweight 7s. You can get these chokes for $20 or less. For sure something to look at I think. 

Fullfan

I have a 500 youth in 20 ga, I shot the Fed Heviweights in #7 with the factory choke and got 140 in the ten at 40. Did you try that choke yet???
Don't gobble at me...

NHhuntr

Yes I have the Mossberg non ported turkey choke.  That choke is lead only from what I understand.  I'd like to try the Fed heavyweights but think I need to find a non-ported less constrictive choke rated for that load.  I am going to pick up the tightwad choke and try the Hevi-Shot.

BAITIN

I found a Pure Gold .570 on sale and it shoots 110's on an 8 inch shoot and see target at 40 yards with the Hevi Shot Mag Blends and in the 90's with Hevi Shot #6. I set it up for my daughter but I may hunt with it this year.

savduck

I just bought a weatherby SA 08 it takes the mossberg 500 chokes. Put a Sumtoy 562-5 in it today and shot 236 in the 10 at 30 yards with federal 7s. My buddy has a 500 that I borrowed. Im gonna shoot it to make sure his is still on and also try all his chokes in my weatherby. He has a PG 570 ported, PG 555 Tempest, a 555 swarm, and a 572 undertaker.

Ill give you some numbers tommorrow.
Georgia Boy

NHhuntr

Savduck, that would much appreciated.  I'm going to have to buy my shells online, was shocked to see my local gun shop had virtually zip in turkey loads.  The season for me is still over a month away but want to get my gun set up and patterned well in advance.

whiskey

I have an non-ported Undertaker in my daughter's Mossy and shooting HS Magnum Blends it is giving wonderful patterns at 30 yards. They spread out some at 40, but still a plenty decent pattern. Sorry, I'm not a pellet counter.

R AJ

Quote from: savduck on March 17, 2012, 07:13:12 PM
I just bought a weatherby SA 08 it takes the mossberg 500 chokes. Put a Sumtoy 562-5 in it today and shot 236 in the 10 at 30 yards with federal 7s. My buddy has a 500 that I borrowed. Im gonna shoot it to make sure his is still on and also try all his chokes in my weatherby. He has a PG 570 ported, PG 555 Tempest, a 555 swarm, and a 572 undertaker.

Ill give you some numbers tommorrow.

Looking forward to this report from all those chokes

savduck

I only shot the 570 Pure Gold and 562 Sumtoy today in the weatherby

It was very obvious that neither of my guns put up the HUGE numbers that others get. I wasnt going to waste money and shoot through the other two or three chokes to tell myself I already know

Ive shot almost 6 boxes of Federal 7s in two guns, with two lot numbers. Two Sum toy 562s, Two Sumtoy 568s, a Truglo SSX 550, a Indian Creek 555, and now a pure gold 570. I also watched my buddy fire the 7s though and M! 20 ga with factory full. Didnt count it, but it was tight at 30....bet it was a 180 type pattern.

Now out of all this shooting. I have only seen a small majority of the shots go over the 140 and up, with a high of 172 at 40 yards. My averages with all of those chokes and two guns is more around the 110 mark at forty.

I may not have found that special choke yet, but one thing I know is that the Federal are not consistants. They are all over the board. They may shot a 135 and then the next shot out of the same set up will go 92, then the next one will go 123.

Georgia Boy