turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need help w/ purchasing a turkey choke

Started by triple duece, March 14, 2012, 08:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple duece

I'm new to this site and kinda new to turkey hunting. I have killed a few birds but haven't w/ any new technology these days. My question is this....I bought my boys new shotguns (browning silver stalkers) in 12 gauge w/ 28' barrels. I'm looking for advice from others that have this kind of setup and would like to hear some choke and shell combo if that's possible or just a place to start. Thanks in advance, TD.

runngun

I would recommend a pure gold 670 with Hevi 13  7s   They shoot awesome
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

teke

Indiancreek Black Diamond Strike in .665 shoots good in SX3 with 28" barrel.

Rope

Well,I'm from Kansas,so I've got to say Carlson. Great people to deal with. :icon_thumright:
Freedom is NOT free

Gooserbat

I shoot an Indian Creek. 665 in my 3.5" 870, and a .655 ballistic specialties in my 3" 870.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

gobblingghost

I called William @ Sumtoy and even sent my guns to him and he did some kind of magic on them and they are patterning great

SKFOOTER

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 15, 2012, 12:28:11 PM
Quote from: triple duece on March 14, 2012, 08:23:37 PM
I'm new to this site and kinda new to turkey hunting. I have killed a few birds but haven't w/ any new technology these days. My question is this....I bought my boys new shotguns (browning silver stalkers) in 12 gauge w/ 28' barrels. I'm looking for advice from others that have this kind of setup and would like to hear some choke and shell combo if that's possible or just a place to start. Thanks in advance, TD.

First of all, welcome to OG. This is a great site with lots of folks who'll help all they can.

I shoot the SX3 with the same 28" Invector+ barrel as your Silver. There are several chokes that work well with that barrel for me and for many of my readers. They have different "internal geometry" but all do the job exceptionally well.

The first is the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=198 it's rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot, has axial rings to slow the wad and is manufactured from 17-4PH stainless steel.

The second is the SSX Turkey Choke http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=81 it's rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot, has very unique internals (lines and grooves with steps) and is made from ETD-150PH high carbon steel.

The third is the Pure Gold Turkey Choke http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=258
it's rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot, manufactured from 17-4PH stainless steel and uses its ports to slow and separate the wad from the shot string.

All are proven designs, well made and have excellent reputations in the hunting and shooting world.

With any and all of them, I'd recommend the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. It's a great shell that works to cleanly kill turkeys at ranges up to 40 yards.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. I would recommend that you "deep clean" those barrels before taking them to the range or the turkey woods. It really helps those already fine barrels to optimize their performance. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282
Clark, what kind of patterning success have you had with the Remington barrels and the Hevi-13 choke? :OGturkeyhead:

VaTuRkStOmPeR

.675 Indian creek

Or .670 rhino

With the .742 bore you will find that most brownings get touchy with anything under .670 but upon occasion you'll find one that will tolerate a .665.

Currently running a .675 ic through my silver.

allaboutshooting

Hey Keith,

They've done very well. That's the first type of SSX I ever shot and I still have that original turkey choke that I shot in the 2005 still target shoot championship.

It throws excellent 10" core patterns and good fringe 15" patterns as well.

I put 190 - 200 in 10" with that choke and my 11-87s on a pretty regular basis.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

triple duece

Thanks for the warm welcome and great advice.

chipper

Gold Spur

Indian Creek .665 is what I use in my Browning Gold. I get awesome patterns with H-13 6 & 7's. Winchester HV & XX pattern great also.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Mhykael

Hi TrippleDeauce. Im new also, and well met :) Ive got a Browning with a 28" barrel as well that uses the invector+ chokes. I started a thread a couple days ago myself, and you can go back and look at those recommendations and see what Ive went ahead and ordered. If you have the time to wait before dropping that kind of cash, I will post my findings as soon as all my equipment comes in and I have a "patterning" day.

paladin

Looks like the first six or so post listed six or more chokes!!! Good luck.
"have gun-will travel"

Lucky Clucker

Get a Primos tight wad, or Jelly head, for heavy shot 6 or 7's, if shooting lead loads get Winchester HV, #5and or Rem. mag #5 and a tru glo choke. These combinations are killers.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.