OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

An effective and inexpensive decoy?

Started by longarm, February 23, 2011, 12:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longarm

Does such a thing exist?
Sure I would love a truck load of $200- $500 decoys.. but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.
Wondering if you have had consistent good luck with less expensive decoys.
Thanks.
(p.s. I looked but didn't find a sub forum that had decoy info.. is this the right place for a decoy thread?)

knightrider

i have seen a guy here use a gobblers fan screwed to a stick and a $10 walmart hen decoy bring in a bunch of birds.

SR1

I dont use them they are a waste of time in the area I hunt.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

jtg88

Cherokee Sports inflatable decoys with the freeze dried head have worked excellent for me.  I've got the standing hen and the full strut gobbler.  I killed two last year that were blown up in his face about to give him a whipping.

WVhuntEER

My dad used to kill most of his birds without a deke.  The one he did have at that time were just the silhouete of a hen.     I have killed birds with featherflex.   The she-mobile decoy by Primos is inexpensive and works.  I killed my last three birds with it.  They are only 25 bucks or something.   I have the DSD hen this year but quite honestly I didn't need it. 

Gobble!

Go to wal mart and buy some of there cheap ones. They all work. The 2 primos hens I had worked just as good as my dsd's.

sugarray

I got a foam one from Wal-Mart and a Rubber one from ???  Got it as a gag gift when I completed my residency.  It has great detail though, and it is what I use, if I use a single hen.  I also have a jake mobile, but he does not get used unless I am hunting a specific boss gobbler.  had #2, 2 year old birds get flaky around it last year.  One hit the road, and the second I was able to call in to 38 yds and killed him.  If I would have had just a hen or 2 out, I think I could have gotten a young feller his first turkey.

stinkpickle

I have an old Feather Flex hen that's gotta be over 15 years old, and it still pulls 'em in just fine.  Almost half the paint has flaked off of it, too.  I wanna see just how long it'll last.  :)

StruttinGobbler3

I just use a FeatherFlex single hen decoy. Works just fine. Used one for about seven seasons, then had to replace it after my hunting buddy blew it to hell and back with a load of hevi 13 (see my story in the "best bird you never killed" thread). Don't see the need in spending a lot of money on decoys.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

wvboy

I agree with the Cherokee Sport .. cheap and easy to carry and look realistic IMHO .. I also use a B-Mobile with a real fan on those tough old field gobblers, but I don't carry him too much he is too heavy for me most of the time... only If I know I will remain in a blind for the entire hunt.
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

harvester

barry

I've killed a mess of them with just a tail fan on an arrow shaft stuck in the ground

joshua

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 23, 2011, 02:19:22 PM
I have an old Feather Flex hen that's gotta be over 15 years old, and it still pulls 'em in just fine.  Almost half the paint has flaked off of it, too.  I wanna see just how long it'll last.  :)
I've got one also with just a few spots of gray still on her head. It uses the umbrella type expander to open it up.  When I use it all the ends of the expander are sticking out her sides but quite a few toms have loved her none the less.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: jtg88 on February 23, 2011, 01:21:15 PM
Cherokee Sports inflatable decoys with the freeze dried head have worked excellent for me.  I've got the standing hen and the full strut gobbler.  I killed two last year that were blown up in his face about to give him a whipping.
:agreed:  I use a Cherokee sports hen decoy.  Its very light and easy to carry.  you can also put it up quick too.  I don't use a decoy much since I hunt about 98% of the time in the woods...I've only hunted a couple of times around fields but I wouldn't have it any other way.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens