OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

steel wool polishing how to fix...

Started by DirtNap647, March 13, 2012, 08:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

i polished my barrel with the steel wool i to am having the same problem with wad string hanging in my barrel (lot of build up i never had before) i would just like to know how to fix it, if you can,  my gun used to shoot in the 300's now it is maybe 200 i understand i probably did the method wrong but i just wana fix it... any suggestions or anybody i can send it too...any help would be appreciated

mightyjoeyoung

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

Right at the top of this forum in bold.  The best way to pollish a barrel ime.   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 13, 2012, 08:51:56 AM
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

Right at the top of this forum in bold.  The best way to pollish a barrel ime.   :icon_thumright:

Yep. 

I'm sorry to here of your misfortune.  All the more reason why I don't support anyone telling folks to use steel wool on their shotgun barrels.   Steel vs steel is not a good mix.   

ILIKEHEVI-13

I will recommend you go to Walmart and buy this to finish with.  I used it on both of my barrels and couldn't be happier.  It will make it shine almost like chrome. 

fountain2

I knew there would be more about this and I too am curious on a quick fix.  Having none of the polishing products recommended,  what can u do?  What can ya put on db pad to smooth it out?  Im still not too sure about it, but I've re-cleaned mine and will hopefully get to shoot today,  weather permitting, and will clean/bore snake between shots and see if I still get the plastic stringy stuff

DirtNap647

do you guys think the wool put swirls in the barrel that are gonna not come out or do you think that it will still polish to the eye it looks good but the barrel after one shot had all sorts of wad in it i would love to fix it and only got 5 weeks till season

DirtNap647

i called rhino knowing they do gun work and he wouldnt even take it told me to get another barrel

Philippe

So you are getting upwards of a 100 pellet loss now? I find that hard to believe unless the barrel is seriously damaged. I've used the 0000 steel wool on a handful of shotgun and they all shoot great and i get none of that stringy stuff.

SumToy

Now I not going to he said she said with this.    If did the way it should I don't think ether way will hurt.  Now did wrong it will.     

Before you hit the panic button get all the oil out the barrel.  I not going to say how.   Then try it.   

Now what shell you shooting and is the weather and lot number the same.  We know the HV-13 has had mix results.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

DirtNap647

as much money as i have invested i wish i was lying but im not it is about 80 pellet loss i just want it fixed is it possible...?

DirtNap647

i did dry steel wool i agree its prob. the wrong way

DirtNap647

look why would anybody on here lie about there gun not shootin if anything i think people would stretch the truth about more pellets im not pointin fingers i just admit i did it wrong and i am looking for suggestions to fix it yes i shot last years shells same lot #'s you guys are very helpful just looking for a solution

mightyjoeyoung

Well you've reconized a problem and most like its cause.  Now go fix it.  You've been given options on how to remedy the issue so it is now up to you to get to it.  Again though, I would super clean that barrel and then pollish it to the standard set forth in the sticky at the top of the page.  If it still doesn't work than you get to chalk this up to experience and go buy a new barrel.  If it works and you get your gun back, you're good and walk away with a little experience under your belt.  Either way, there is simply no way you can blame that kind of pattern loss on the shells.  No way they could change that drastically from one year to the next...just no way.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

fountain2

Im gonna say what I did and it goes again the grain for some...im a little hardheaded.  I did it this way last year and it worked, so im gonna see now.  I took both my guns that I did the wool/wd-40 magic to and cleaned then with a brush and hopped ran it through several times and then ran clean patches through making sure they came out clean...then I walked away.  If the weather works for me...and I really hope it does ...I will shoot the two of em today.

I've cooled down now and stepped back to look and just don't see how I could have hurt anything.   Others have done it here the same way I did and nothing wrong.  I did it last year to my 835 with no ill affects.  The cd 20 is new to me, so I don't know it that well.  I will though.

Reloader

MrBOOOM,

I think your problem was from using dry steel wool in the first place and even if it was lubed, it's best to follow with a final polish.

What I personally would do to your gun:

Install factory flush choke
Place bbl in padded vice
Chuck cleaning rod in cordless drill
Knock the primer out of a fired hull and slide on cleaning rod as a guide
Place 12ga bronze brush on cleaning rod
Wrap a large cotton patch around the brush and soak it in oil
Smear fine metal polish on cotton patch(JB, Montana, Flitz, etc)
Insert brush in chamber and push it in the bbl a few inches
Slide bore guide(hull) down the rod and fully into the chamber
Start spinning the rod with the drill and slowly move from hull to choke, never spin in one spot.
Go back and forth for 20 passes, then pull it, put on a new patch and start over

Do that for about 100 passes slowly from choke to hull, then thoroughly clean the bbl with solvents to remove all polish.  Run some dry patches through the bore and hold the bbl up to a light.  You should see a mirror like surface in the bore.  Dry steel wool scratches steel.  I think you have probably made your bbl rougher than it was before you started and it needs to be polished to remove this swirl pattern.  That rough surface is causing friction.

I don't think anyone should use steel wool in a bbl unless the bbl is very rough from the start and it should only be used if well lubed. It should be followed by the above or similar as well.

Good Luck

loder