OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need Nitro advice

Started by 4nolz2, March 12, 2012, 08:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4nolz2

I want to try Nitros in a 3 1/2" Benelli 12 gauge pump.It has an aftermarket choke tube-a truglo 155.Can someone point me towards the best load to start with? Also can they be bought direct from Nitro or are they available online somewhere? Thanks!

zach06

Go to nitro ammunition company website and it will tell you what shells work best in your gun.  They have done extensive testing and I bet whatever they suggest will shoot good. Yes you can buy form them.

jasperjet

they are offering mega weight shot this yr. 2 7/16 oz thats got to kick like a mule.

DirtNap647

are these mega weights 2 /7/16 offered in a straight 7 shot

01Foreman400

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 13, 2012, 10:03:38 AM
Don't shoot any of the 2 7/16 oz shells, if you want a heavy payload, shoot the 2 1/4 oz load. Bigger is not always better, and you gun will pattern better with the 2 1/4oz. The 2 7/16 oz is too large of a payload to send down a 12 ga bore, to be an efficient load. for you especially since you are shooting a Benelli with a underbored .723 bore dia. It is a 10 ga payload, and should be used in a 10 ga bore to be efficient, it will usually work well in a Mossy 835 that has a .775 bore, if you don't over choke it.

I patterned my Benelli SBE 2 with a 24" barrel with a Rhino .670 choke and Nitro 2 7/16 oz #7's.  This target was at 40 yards.  Do you think I could do better with a smaller load?  It's got a nice 10" and 20" pattern.

Huntin Fool From Georgia!

01Foreman400

After drawing a 10" circle around the aiming point I'd say my Docter is dead on.  I had 327 hits.  I didn't count the 20". 
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

HookDaddy

01FOREMAN400  that's a great pattern!!  I'm about to try the same combo out of my 26" super Vinci and I hope it produces those numbers.

bird

To the members of OG that are interested these loads.  Please take the advice of the other members of OG with a grain of salt.  There are no Experts on this site.  Please call the maker of that load and ask them what they think.  One member is giving advice on his own personal hand loads fired through an 870SM with a Jellyhead choke when the member asking the question is firing Nitro ammo with a Benelli and a Rhino choke.  This is comparing watermelons to grapefruit. The advice given here is of no material value what so ever and should not be even be considered.  And you guys that are offering this type of advice really need to start paying attention to the fact that you are not ammunition experts and you need to be very careful about implying that a manufactures product may be unsafe. Nitro does this for a living, not a hobby. Per Shannon... No Product Bashing!

Please consult Nitro for any and all advice on their loads.

PS.... Very Nice Pattern.  There's not one thing wrong with that pattern at all.  Super tight is not the best pattern to have by the way.  A full, even 20" pattern at 40 is the best pattern in my opinion.  :icon_thumright:

bird

jtg88

I have a Benelli Nova with a Jellyhead .655 choke.  The 2 1/4 oz loads definitely pattern better from my gun than the larger 2 7/16 and do so with less recoil.  The only 12 gauge guns I've seen throw a really good pattern with the 2 7/16 oz loads are the over-bored Mossberg 835/935.

Spit n Drum

The 2 1/4 oz. nitro loads shoot better than the 2 7/16 oz. load through my mossberg 835 with a .695 Rhino. Good luck this spring.

Old Gobbler

Ive been shooting the Nitro loads since the 90's --- back when they were in upstate NY - nitro is without a doubt the biggest performance trend setter for turkey ammo , these guys have been doing it for decades and refined the art of high performance turkey ammo 

Ive shot them in 12 and 10 gauge loads and can attest to their performance - I have shot hundreds of them including several 25 count box loads of the 3 ounce 10 gauge offerings in numerous shot materials - and they are perfectly safe to use , but quite harmful for any turkey in front of your barrel 

They are very busy right now, call them up and get the info directly from the source - I havent used the 2 7/16ths load but I do like the 2 1/4 ounce loads they are quite harmful for turkeys

good luck this season   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Big Timber

The 2 7/16 loads  shoots really well in my 1187.  ;D

4nolz2

wow thats even better than the nitro website's expected results

North of 8

:fud:

I been shootin da Nitro 4xx5x7 since 1996 and der aint no better. Yes, just like custom turkey calls, a little more money, but.....no misses and all dead turkeys. I shoot a Benelli M2, 26" barrel with a Rhino. Exactly as Ray set it up for me. :fud:

Der is NO-ONE that knows more bout turkey loads den Ray at NITRO. You won't get to talk to him dis time of da year, got too many orders to fill....and turkeys to kill!! :newmascot: