turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The East LBL bridge takes a hit today.

Started by redarrow, March 12, 2012, 05:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

Couple weeks ago a 300 foot section of the west bridge to the LBL (KY) got tore out by a cargo ship going through in the wrong channel.The contractors are busting there hump to get it opened by Memorial day at a cost of 7 million dollars.
Well this morning at 1:30 AM a barge slammed into the east bridge.It was shut down waiting for engineer approval to re open. I guess we know who hired that Italian cruise ship captain.

cannonball

I saw pictures of the first bridge. It was amazing that a ship could tear a bridge up like that.

h2obil

Per local radio WKDZ--at first report the barge said they just "brushed "the column  but after the barge started to take on water  due to a hole in the side they decided to take a closer look at the bridge. Makes you wonder how many times the bridges get  "brushed "  in the middle of the night and maybe not get reported?   ???

redarrow

Bad thing right now is the students at Murry College have a 170 mile round trip every day just to get to school.

Wingbone

That's crazy! I went to Murray State and crossed those bridges many many times during turkey season. I hate it for the commuters that go through there every day.

In Hoc Signo Vinces

CASH

I'd like to know why two boats hit it in this short of a time span.  Too much of a coinkeydink
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

redarrow

Two different bridges. One on the west near Aurora ,and the east bridge near Cadiz.

CASH

Quote from: redarrow on March 12, 2012, 11:50:38 PM
Two different bridges. One on the west near Aurora ,and the east bridge near Cadiz.

Well it would help if I would read the post right.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

joey46

As I like to repeat I lived within sight of the KY Lake bridge (the one that is gone) for over 9 years.  You would not believe how common it was for that bridge to get "brushed".  Always the same news report, " hit - temporarily closed - inspected - reopened".  My wife, who is not a big bridge fan anyway, hated to cross it if a barge was close by. 

redarrow

Quote from: CASH on March 13, 2012, 01:54:57 AM
Quote from: redarrow on March 12, 2012, 11:50:38 PM

Well it would help if I would read the post right.

DOOOOHHHH ! ;D