OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

alabama season

Started by gooblnfever, March 11, 2012, 08:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg06

This will be my first season as an official Alabamian and first year chasing these Bama birds so I'm pretty fired up.

Actually laid eyes on my first Alabama gobbler today while doing a little scouting... From what i hear, it's rare to even find a track around here so I was pretty pumped :toothy9:

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

mikewhandley

cant get here soon enough

RED_MAN1

Just a few more days.....

cant wait....
RED MAN

TRKYCRZY

Heading down there on the 23rd :fud: :OGani:

BamaProud

Finally getting a population of birds established on our property in South AL after clear cutting about 10 years ago.  Interestingly, they seem to be preferring the same general area as they did before the cutting.  For the past 3 years or so, been seeing more and more tracks each year and hearing a few in the Spring, but didn't feel like numbers were high enough to kill any.  I saw a flock of 12 including 3 gobblers back in deer season.   

I won't make opening day, but plan on hunting the property a time or two.

...yall been doing allright round here?
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

mmusso

BrowningGuy88

Yep!!!! Took Thursday and Friday off. Planning on doubling with my hunting partner Thursday, Friday, and Saturday!!!!!! :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

I can't wait - have gotten trail cam pics on three different properties with gobblers still grouped up 3-7 birds per group. Hopefully get on a pair each morning!

Beretta686

In a depression. My ace in the hole place is clear cut. Have Leaned on the same tree opening day for 24 of the past 25 years. Only morning I wasn't there was when my daughter was born on opening day in 93. I did go that morning though and killed a bird.  Hardwood bottoms are still there  but the rest of it is gone. Loggers started in January and won't pull out until mid april. Property is 1/4 mile wide and 1 3/4 miles deep, right to the river. Haven't seen it yet, but may make the run this weekend. I don't know.

I have plenty of other places to hunt, but it won't be the same.

I've been ready to start a new opening day tradition Thursday morning.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

hwy419

jakebird

Good luck to all u 'Bama boys. Hope y'all put a few in the dirt. Post up all your pics for us unfortunates ones that have a month to go yet. We appreciate the torment   :D   
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

pseshooter300

Alabama season opens on a Thursday? That is kinda different does it do that every year? When does it close?
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

Beretta686

[/quote]

Opens and closes the same every year.  Mar 15th - Apr 30th...same dates every year.
[/quote]

It use to open March 20th until they changed it about the same times they legalized the use of decoys in Alabama. My daughter was born at 3am on the 20th (opening day) and I went to the woods that morning, killed a bird, and headed back to the hospital. Don't worry I have a place 20 minutes from the hospital that I hunt.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

BamaProud

Quote from: Beretta686 on March 13, 2012, 10:38:25 PM
In a depression. My ace in the hole place is clear cut. Have Leaned on the same tree opening day for 24 of the past 25 years. Only morning I wasn't there was when my daughter was born on opening day in 93. I did go that morning though and killed a bird.  Hardwood bottoms are still there  but the rest of it is gone. Loggers started in January and won't pull out until mid april. Property is 1/4 mile wide and 1 3/4 miles deep, right to the river. Haven't seen it yet, but may make the run this weekend. I don't know.

I have plenty of other places to hunt, but it won't be the same.

I've been ready to start a new opening day tradition Thursday morning.

I was in your situation about 11 years ago.  It wasn't fun, but things are finally getting better.  Best of luck.
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

YELPA

I'm in kill mode.  Productivity is way down at the Office today.