turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

just starting out...

Started by Squall_409, March 10, 2012, 12:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squall_409

So I am just getting into turkey hunting. I have a Remington 870 that I will be using for my gun, so now I need to get myself a call.

What would be the best way to go for a beginner? Would I be better off with going for a box call or a slate call? Where are good places to look for calls? What brands should I be looking for and what should I be avoiding?

I'm sorry for all the questions. I just really want to have as much knowledge as I can.

Thank you for read my post
You don't need a reason to help others.

Gobblerstopper

If you are looking for calls you have came to the right place. This site has a better selection of good calls than anywhere else you will find.

The type of call is really up to you. I'm partial to friction calls. Aluminum, Glass, crystal or slate. They are easy to learn on, are very versitile and you have a lot of options. Check out the classifieds here and I'm sure you can find something you like. Don't be afraid to call any of the call makers either. Most like to talk turkey hunting as much as making calls and all of them want you to get something that you are comfortable with and can be successful with.

Word of warning though, it is hard to buy just one call once you get started.

Squall_409

I'm pretty sure I will want to own as many as possible. I like to collect things like that.

So the classified section is a good place to start to look? What in particular should I look for? What's so special about the different types of pot calls? I have seen so many threads about people talking about the different wood that is used with it, the different types of tops...

Sorry, I am very new to this...
You don't need a reason to help others.

TREEDOG

Get some dvds or cds with live hen calling or look them up on youtube. listen to the sound and more important the rhythm! rhythm is the key to calling them.

push pin call would be really easy to learn and hard to mess up and they don't cost alot. You should also get box call and a pot call and see for your self which one you like to run. Wood depends on what sound you want. strikers and surface of pot call, why type of sound board that is used will change the pitch of the call. same goes for box calls different would change sound from high notes to clear or to raspy also size of the call.

You should also start trying to learn a mouth call either single or double reed would be ones to start out with. they don't cost alot . tubes and trumpet are very good call to learn but like mouth calls their a bigger learning curve.

You just never know what would bring that old tom running. O and when you call and hit that old tom with the right note be ready they come running lol. I learn the hard way. fast as he came is fast as he left!!!

Good luck!

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Squall_409 on March 10, 2012, 02:08:18 AM
I'm pretty sure I will want to own as many as possible. I like to collect things like that.

You'll have some fun here!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

cannonball

I would buy both if you can. Gobblez makes a great sounding box call that's very affordable. There are some quality pot calls in the classified right now too. Gobblestopper has two aluminum pots and a glass pot that I would seriously consider. Mike Yingling has a slate pot in there too if you wanted slate. Good luck in your search!