OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-shot advantages?

Started by BP1992, March 09, 2012, 04:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Quote from: joker on March 12, 2012, 02:10:43 PM
Quote from: HuntSource on March 12, 2012, 11:28:13 AM
Quote from: JohnDoe on March 12, 2012, 09:08:28 AM
One advantage no one has mentioned is hardness. They are "much harder", so they penetrate and break bone better.

John

John, yes, this is certainly true. Even so, lead #6s will penetrate adequately inside of 40yd. Lead even has the extra fudge factor often discussed here as well. In short, the fundamental reason to use HTL shot out of a 12ga is to extend a rig's ability to produce effective patterns from 40yd to 50-55yd. The pink elephant in the corner is that Hevi-Shot has no meaningful advantages versus lead out of a 12ga out to 40yd. It's only beyond that range that its superior penetrating ability and superior patterning characteristics become relevant.

The 20ga is a different deal altogether. I have yet to find a 20ga lead load that will take me to 40yd with confidence. With the 20ga, Hevi-Shot #6s and #7s make a lot of sense. The 20ga needs the help of Hevi-Shot's superior penetration and patterning characteristics. I've found the 20ga runs about 10yd behind the 12ga. Essentially, I can get 20ga Hevi-Shot patterns at 40yd that look like 12ga lead patterns. If you want a lighter, easy to carry shotgun that doesn't kick a ton, then Hevi-Shot and the 20ga complement each other nicely.

Don't look now, but there is a pink elephant in the other corner. What is the deference between extending the range of a 12ga from 40 to 50yds by using the benefits of htl and doing the same thing with a 20ga from 30 to 40yds? Your making smaller and tighter patterns with the available shot to shoot further. Am I missing something here?

It's not about 50 yards but rather people posting less than flatering things and acting like either they are Gods gift to turkey hunters or in general chalenging the rules.  We all know that fuge factor guns are a reality but but being beligerant about it is something else.

I for one would rather show Shanon some respect, and when the time comes to discuss 50 yard rigs comes around be able to do it, and do it right.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 12, 2012, 08:37:34 AM
You can pull a shot at any range under a multitude of circumstances.  To say that picture justifies
"no long shots" is illogical.  Patterns become increasingly tight at close range and a miss or crippling shot is probably more likely at such because they haven't had a chance to exhibit any sizable diameter at those ranges.

I just don't clearly see your point.

I definitely typed this to the wrong thread...

I'm sure some of y'all were wondering if I had become delusional..........  Probably on my way but not quite.  Sorry about any confusion I may have caused.

bushwhacker

I'm not going to put down the HTL because I have an 870 that I shoot the old remington premier hevi-shot 5's out of and I know for a fact that it will kill turkeys at distances far beyond ethical. When the five boxes of these are gone I'll find a lead load it likes and be done with the HTL altogether. The HTL is great for patterns, but is there any reason to have a volleyball sized pattern at 40 yards if you aren't trying to kill turkeys at 50 yards plus? I find myself shooting my 870 SM with lead more than my 870 shortie with the hevi-shot because I won't be tempted with the longer shots with the lead loads. Plus the lead is easier on the checkbook! I can buy two boxes of lead shells and still spend less money than one box of HTL. That's a no brainer for me. Turkeys can't tell difference between a $1.25 broken neck and a $4.00 one. Just my two cents, not trying to get a argument going, just stating what works out best for me.

Gooserbat

Ok while I hope I didn't offend anyone with my above post I don't see a need to apologize either.  I shoot htl and fact is I have an 870 that after some barel work will kill at 40 yards plus 25% fudge factor (you do the math)  and do it all day , every day.  Anyway htl is the real deal but you need to decide if it's worth the price.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.