turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Distinguish a putt from a cluck!

Started by EliteArkHunter, March 09, 2012, 01:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EliteArkHunter

ok, i am apparently confused on the way a putt sounds from a cluck or the other way around......when i listen to a cluck and a putt, they actually sound identical to me, can someone give me some tips or advice on using these calls. I would hate to try and convince a gobbler to come in and make the wrong move and scare him off with a putt......maybe its how you use them and would i be more effective using my cluck with a purr etc?

jblackburn

In turkey talk, the cluck is usually a contented call.  Basically, she is saying everything is ok.  It is used with purrs and also while feeding.

The putt is the alarm call, it is sharper, louder and pitchier than the cluck.  It is basically OH S@#$!! Let's get out of here!

The cutt is also similar in sound to the putt, but it is a faster cadence.  Sometimes indicating excitement or anger.  It is frequently mixed with yelps.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

guesswho

A putt has more of a sharp "pert" sound to it.  A cluck has more of a "puck" sound.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tha bugman

I hate looking into a hens eyes and hear that putt.....everyone knows that the jig is up then....next step...wing adjustment...

EliteArkHunter

great advice guys, thank you for the input

reflexl

Quote from: tha bugman on March 09, 2012, 01:42:46 PM
I hate looking into a hens eyes and hear that putt.....everyone knows that the jig is up then....next step...wing adjustment...

I second the motion!

gotcha

When calling I don't even try to mimick a cluck fearing it may sound like a putt.

Cove

The difference between a cluck and a putt is determined by the state of mind the bird is in, sometimes can be seen in the body language. Almost impossible to differentiate between the two on sound alone. 

Flydown

Quote from: Covehnter on March 09, 2012, 07:06:18 PM
The difference between a cluck and a putt is determined by the state of mind the bird is in, sometimes can be seen in the body language. Almost impossible to differentiate between the two on sound alone. 

I agree, I think the only difference between a cluck and a put is weather she is coming or going. ;)

mdtkyhntr

As stated, it's more about context than difference in sound. I've killed a number of birds with simple clucks, it seems to peak curiosity.

Preacher

A Putt is closely followed by wing beats and a liberal spraying of turkey turds,   A cluck is all other one note sounds.
Romans 8:37

Gagry

Preacher   Thats funny :TooFunny:   But true