OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

question on pattern

Started by truedouble, March 08, 2012, 11:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truedouble

Assuming a 3.5" shell patterns equal to a 3" shell, will you get more holes in your pattern with a 3.5"?  Probably a dumb question but just wanting to think things through before I buy another box of shells.

Currently shooting a new 870 SM turkey gun/ IC 665/ 3" Nitro 1 7/8 oz. 4-5-7.  I'm getting around 180 in 10" at 40 and around 100 at 50 yds.  I know it will kill a turkey at either range but why am I not getting in the 200's?

archery1

yes.. your 3.5" shells have a bigger payload so u will get more shot in your shells
Take a kid hunting

C J Stahly

From a mathmatical stand point, yes, more pellets equals more holes; however, from a reality stand point it all depends on your gun.  I have seen some guys shoot a 3" shell and get better numbers than a 3.5 inch shell.  It all depends on the gun and choke combo.  Most generally speaking, I would venture to say yes you will probably see an increase, but it isn't 100%

davisd9

The 180 is good for a 3" shell and a great hunting pattern if it is even.  A 3.5" shell may get you to 200 but not much over without trying other chokes and things.  I would stay with the 180 cause it give you plenty of range to misjudge the distance and still be ok.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

truedouble

thanks for the input.  I thought it made sense but wasn't sure.  I'll probably stay where I am for now as the pattern is good at 40 and I thought good at 50 (100 at 50 with 50 or so in the kill zone).  Next year I'd like to take it to the next level though.  If you were going to try a different choke which would it be.  I'm using  the IC 665 now and according to the Nitro chart it was recommended 1st and then JH second.

thanks again