OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new 870 bottom land camo 3.5 26"

Started by Dew, February 22, 2011, 10:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dew

I recently viewed a topic that had bad reviews on the hd. I bought the 870 bottom land camo 3.5 26" barrel and I'm shooting 223 to 228 in a 10 inch circle heavy shot 7's at 40 yards through mine with a 660 jh. Does anyone have any suggestions of a better choke combination for this setup?

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The .660 Jelly Head is supposed to be one of the Holy Grail Remington chokes.

Indian Creek .665, Pure Gold .670, and Rhino .660 are the other three.

BOFF

Quote from: Dew on February 22, 2011, 10:53:43 PM
I recently viewed a topic that had bad reviews on the hd. I bought the 870 bottom land camo 3.5 26" barrel and I'm shooting 223 to 228 in a 10 inch circle heavy shot 7's at 40 yards through mine with a 660 jh. Does anyone have any suggestions of a better choke combination for this setup?

What's wrong with 223-228 ?  ???

God Bless,
David B.

Dew

No I haven't polished the barrel yet. I've been thinking about it and nothings wrong with the 223 228 but I was just wondering if I could improve a little bit for further yardage. Thanks for the feedback.

SKFOOTER

I'm getting right at 300 pellets in the 40 yard 10 inch circle with that combination. 

knightrider

sounds great to me, should be good to 50-55 :z-guntootsmiley:

hookedspur

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on February 22, 2011, 11:04:51 PM
The .660 Jelly Head is supposed to be one of the Holy Grail Remington chokes.

Indian Creek .665, Pure Gold .670, and Rhino .660 are the other three.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

joshua

Quote from: Dew on February 22, 2011, 11:35:13 PM
No I haven't polished the barrel yet. I've been thinking about it and nothings wrong with the 223 228 but I was just wondering if I could improve a little bit for further yardage. Thanks for the feedback.
Polish the barrel just like it is explained on this website and get back to us.  You won't regret doing it.   :anim_25:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Gobble!

pullit

Quote from: joshua on February 23, 2011, 04:51:43 AM
Polish the barrel just like it is explained on this website and get back to us.  You want regret doing it.   :anim_25:

+1

VAHUNTER

Quote from: pullit on February 23, 2011, 09:13:55 AM
Quote from: joshua on February 23, 2011, 04:51:43 AM
Polish the barrel just like it is explained on this website and get back to us.  You want regret doing it.   :anim_25:

+1
+2. i have a couple barrels in route . i will be adding pics. to the polishing post
Good things come to those who wait

Dew

I shot 3.5 number 7,s hevi shot. I shot nitros and they did the same thanks for the advice

Reloader

I would polish, then try again.

If that didn't work, my next step would be to try the 3" shell.  After that, I'd go to a JH665 for a try with both shells. Then a ICBDS 665.  It can be expensive when trying to wring every little bit out of a rig.  If you don't want to buy all of the chokes, some of these guys may have extras for you to pattern with.

Shotguns are similar to rifles in that they will each have a pet combo.

I've taken two nearly identical guns and found opposite results between them.  That's not usually the case, but it does happen.

bunk

I would try some sort of polishing. I used the green scotch brite pads and wd40. It was a method I found by Googleing barrel polishing. Scotch brite pads and wd40 are easy to come buy so I figured before I spent the money on J&B and Kroil plus shipping I had nothing to loose. It came out looking great and got my count up to 304 in a 10" circle. I have the same gun, barrel, load, and choke you are useing. I know that the method on here with the J&B and Kroil works and I was happy with the way mine turned out with the method I used. Eather way I would try some sort of deep cleaning or polishing before I spent more money on chokes. You have a deadly combo.

mudhen

Just getting started with my 870 SM in MOBL + JH .660, but so far I'm fairly impressed.  I agree that it might like 3" over 3.5", but I haven't gone all that far with the H-13 testing yet.  I do love shooting the 3" though, what a dream!  It doesn't like 3" MB for sure though.  I'm a bit surprised that it liked H-13 3" 2oz #5's, and printed in the 170's at 37-38 yards in early testing.  I'll post more when I have more results.

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka