turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Grand Slam Locations??

Started by tomstopper, March 08, 2012, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and have so far found some great advice so I thought that i would ask for some specifically. In the next couple years I would like to complete the grand slam for turkeys. I am a resident of New York so getting the "eastern" bird should be no problem, but I was just wondering if any of you have attempted this before and if so where is the best places I should go to complete my goal. I will appreciate any advice. Thanks.

FireFly908

I don't recall the exact locations, but the NWTF magazine I received a couple of days ago had an article on a couple of children that took their blind father (shot by another turkey hunter) on his grand slam turkey hunt.  It lists the states and route they took by car to complete the slam.  You might want to read that.
The children were guides themselves (at least one of them) and had prearranged places to make the hunts easier but it still lists the general areas.

TRKYCRZY

I completed my Royal Slam in 2007. I used an Outfitter in South Dakota (Trask Ranch), self guided in Texas, A friend in Florida, and an Outfitter in Mexico, (I could write a book on that disaster, plane wreck, no tags, sneaking out of MX etc.). If you have the time and little $$ go self guided.

Gamblinman

I used an outfitter in Florida and the rest were self guided. Been a few years back , but I took a merriams, an eastern, and a rio all in Oklahoma within days of one another.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

okiegobblers

Quote from: Gamblinman on March 08, 2012, 08:46:19 PM
I used an outfitter in Florida and the rest were self guided. Been a few years back , but I took a merriams, an eastern, and a rio all in Oklahoma within days of one another.

Gman

Didnt I just read an article about that in Outdoor Oklahoma or something?

Gooserbat

Quote from: okiegobblers on March 08, 2012, 09:06:27 PM
Quote from: Gamblinman on March 08, 2012, 08:46:19 PM

Gman

Didnt I just read an article about that in Outdoor Oklahoma or something?
Chain Ranch offers a three day three bird hunt for all three birds found in state.  Give Newley a call if you think you are up to it. 580 866 5085
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.