turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longer Barrel = more accurate, correct?

Started by joffutt1, March 07, 2012, 12:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbuck

Don't know about a supernova, but the sbe2 guys all say the 26 inch patterns better than the 24. i had a 24 in sbe2 and it was poor enough I sold it.

bird

My old 24" Nova with a IC .665 couldn't be touched by the longer 26" or 28" barrel Nova's.

WildTigerTrout

My 24" Benelli SBE I shoots very nice patterns, plus it's handy in the turkey woods.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

joffutt1

Quote from: bird on March 07, 2012, 04:20:28 PM
My old 24" Nova with a IC .665 couldn't be touched by the longer 26" or 28" barrel Nova's.

Hmm ok

FttFttVroom!

I'm seeing good numbers with WinXRHD 6's out of my 23" barrel 870 SM (180@40)

bird

24" Nova IC .665 40 yards taped and laser..... Read the paper

All patterns 40 yards taped and laser. PG .670 and a 23" 870SM Read the paper....

Gobble!

Good numbers but nothin that blows my mind and a longer barrel couldn't do.

bird

Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2012, 07:51:49 PM

Many a longer barrel can't touch those numbers in the same load and choke.

joffutt1

Quote from: bird on March 07, 2012, 07:57:13 PM

So this means that barrel length is irrelevant??

bird

Quote from: joffutt1 on March 07, 2012, 08:02:01 PM

So this means that barrel length is irrelevant??

In most cases a long gun will pattern better but no always.  Every gun is different but it all boils down to finding the correct balance between gun, shell and choke. 

bird

Gobble!

Yes but I'm afraid your not compareing apples. Like I said before I'm sure your clean (probably polished) barrel will pattern better then dirty neglected longer barrels but if both barrels are maintained equally ON AVERAGE long barrels are going to give the better patterns.

WiLL B

I like the handiness of a short barrel but I can aim a longer barrel a little quicker. Now thats with a bead if I was shooting a scope I would go short probably the longer sighting plane on the long barrel would not help a bit you just looking through the scope.

bird

Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2012, 08:06:08 PM

Yes but I'm afraid your not compareing apples. Like I said before I'm sure your clean (probably polished) barrel will pattern better then dirty neglected longer barrels but if both barrels are maintained equally ON AVERAGE long barrels are going to give the better patterns.

Not always.... for example. The Nova, I had a 24" Nova with a IC .665 choke.  A buddy of mine had the same gun except his was a 26" barrel.  He patterned and patterned and patterned that gun trying to get numbers similiar to mine and could never accomplish it.  We even went so far to take my choke and put it in his gun and still his 26" Nova couldn't even come close to the patterns that my 24" Nova was throwing.

In theory you may think that the longer barrel will be better but in real life it doesn't always work out that way.

Now remember in the above pictures.  The Nova is using 3" shell 1 5/8oz #6 REMINGTON Hevi-shot.  The old green shells.  155 in a 10 at 40 is outstanding numbers with that gun and shell.  That is not much less then the Rem 870SM with a PG shooting 3" 2oz. #6 at 40 and getting 184 in a 10.

drenalinld

Longer will pattern better more times than not but there are anomalies for sure. 260 with 6's is BADD!