OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longer Barrel = more accurate, correct?

Started by joffutt1, March 07, 2012, 12:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joffutt1

I am getting ready to likely pick up a Benelli SuperNova and there is an option of a 24" and 26" barrel length.  I assume the longer would be more accurate, correct?

mnbirdbuster

Accurate, yes and no! You will gain a longer sight plane with a longer barrel as well as a little better/tighter pattern in my experience! A shorter barrel is maybe al ittle more manageable in the thick stuff! Id say you are fine with either for a turkey gun, you arent wingshooting where id pick the 26" all day every day!

mnbirdbuster

Quote from: mnbirdbuster on March 07, 2012, 12:50:11 PM
Accurate?, yes and no! You will gain a longer sight plane with a longer barrel as well as a little better/tighter pattern in my experience! A shorter barrel is maybe a little more manageable in the thick stuff! Id say you are fine with either for a turkey gun, you arent wingshooting where id pick the 26" all day every day!

DirtNap647

my experience i prefer the longer barrel for pattern wise, although the shorter is a little easier to maneuver

bird

I'll put my 23" barrel up against any long barrel any day of the week.   :goofball:

Gobble!

Quote from: bird on March 07, 2012, 01:23:53 PM
I'll put my 23" barrel up against any long barrel any day of the week.   :goofball:

And it will lose 7 out of 7 days that week  :funnyturkey:

bird

Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2012, 01:29:47 PM

And it will lose 7 out of 7 days that week  :funnyturkey:

I don't think so....   :goofball:

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have compared 28" to 26" to 21" barrels and the longer barrels more times than not will be the better tighter patterns with most loads.  

Gobble!

I will say a 23" barrel that is kept clean and polished will perform better then paps 28" barrel that has never seen a cleaning patch. If each barrel is well maintained then I'm going to give the edge to the longer barrel. Right now I'm shooting a 23" barrel that performs better then most longer barrels but next year I will be shooting a 26" barrel. Longer barrel increased muzzle velocity and most likely better patterns.

joffutt1

Philippe

Accurate? No, Throw a better pattern? Possibly.

dirt road ninja

24 or 26. They both seem just right for turkeys. I'm shooting a 24, but if I were shopping new turkey guns, I'd be looking 26.

bowhunter32

lol....kind of a 2 part question..accuracy from a shotgun? maybe not the right word..maube pattern consistency...yur not shoting single holes like a rifle...its like asking blondes or brunetteseveryone has a diffetent opinion..i like shorter barrels:or portability...but thats my opinion...

sugarray

And my 20" 835.    :fud: