OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win xtended range leaking buffer !!!

Started by nyhunter, March 07, 2012, 07:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

Can someone describe what the buffering in a win. elite xtended range shells looks like? I just got my order and the shipping box has what looks like sand or salt all throughout the inside of the box. Also both shiny black boxes that the shells came in are broke open " the ends that were glued together are broke open.

Five O

I can't remember buying a box of Winchester that wasn't full of buffer

honker22

If you don't want to send them back, just put some Elmer's Glue on the crimps.  Let it dry for a day and then put some fingernail polish on top of it.  GoldHunter has a nice video on the handloading forum
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Gobble!

bird

I bet if you look at the crimps on your shells you will notice that they will be sealed tight and no shells will be leaking at all. The granules that you are seeing I believe came from while packaging the shells into the box and not from the shells themselves.  My boxes of shells that I have came the same way with buffer all over the place but the shells are seal as tight as a drum.  If you notice the stuff is hard to get off your hands like Styrofoam packing peanuts.  If you do have a shell or shells leaking buffer than I would contact Winchester and ask them what they would like to do about it.  But again... I bet it is buffer that is just stuck from static electricity during packaging.

bird

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2012, 10:42:00 AM
Say it anit sooo!!!

No way!

Can't be.

Those Winchester shells leaking!  And I thought they were so consistently good.

Things that make you say hmmm!   :funnyturkey:

mudhen

It's buffer.

Are they an older batch?

I used to have to seal every one of them up at first, but then I started getting shells with really sealed crimps, like the HV steel shot crimps.

The first year I used XR, I almost missed a Kansas double because the buffer caused the mag spring cap to stick in my SBE II.  Luckily the 2nd tom waited around while I fussed with the gun, and then he got whacked too...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

hunter-b

DblClk

Quote from: bird on March 07, 2012, 01:29:59 PM
I bet if you look at the crimps on your shells you will notice that they will be sealed tight and no shells will be leaking at all. The granules that you are seeing I believe came from while packaging the shells into the box and not from the shells themselves.  My boxes of shells that I have came the same way with buffer all over the place but the shells are seal as tight as a drum.  If you notice the stuff is hard to get off your hands like Styrofoam packing peanuts.  If you do have a shell or shells leaking buffer than I would contact Winchester and ask them what they would like to do about it.  But again... I bet it is buffer that is just stuck from static electricity during packaging.

bird

Exactly what bird said !!! I just picked up 4 boxes with buffer all over inside the box but all the crimps were fine, not the first time I have seen this.  I just pulled em out wiped the excess buffer from the shell with a dryer sheet to reduce the static cling of the buffer and they are good to go.

nyhunter

Quote from: bird on March 07, 2012, 01:29:59 PM

bird
Thanks Bird thats exactly what it was.

bird

You're welcome.  I'm glad I could be of some assistance. I didn't think you were going to find a problem with those Winchester shells. 

Al

goblr77

Don't know about the XR in the past three years but the ones before that leaked buffer horribly. I've had to clean out the magazine tubes on a couple guns because of it.

mikejd

Same thing for me yesterday. The whole shipping box was covered. I didn't even look at the crimps yet. I should have time tonight also I had no winchesters all hevi shot.

RemingtonRules

I heard about this and cotacted Winchester.  Appears there was a problem with the distributor who ships multiple brands of ammo.  The Winchster ammo was warehoused under a shipment of HEVI-Shot.   The buffer leaking from the HEVI-Shot got all over what was stored under it.  Said they had a trail from the HEVI all the way to the loading dock and had to clean the warehouse.  They could not tell me the lot number of the HEVI-Shot or the forklift.

:OGturkeyhead:

:funnyturkey:

nyhunter

Quote from: RemingtonRules on March 09, 2012, 09:58:28 AM
I heard about this and cotacted Winchester.  Appears there was a problem with the distributor who ships multiple brands of ammo.  The Winchster ammo was warehoused under a shipment of HEVI-Shot.   The buffer leaking from the HEVI-Shot got all over what was stored under it.  Said they had a trail from the HEVI all the way to the loading dock and had to clean the warehouse.  They could not tell me the lot number of the HEVI-Shot or the forklift.

:OGturkeyhead:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

:funnyturkey: