OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Please pray for my son, daughter and myself for our first turkey!

Started by gatortrax35, March 06, 2012, 11:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatortrax35

Guys I love the boards and how friendly everyone is. I sometimes or should I say never reply because I don't know a lot about turkey hunting. Can I ask for yalls prayers, on March 17th my son (11 yrs old ) and daughter (14 yrs old) both have been drawn for the youth lottery turkey hunt on Sicily Hills WMA in Louisiana!!!! I have put them both in for the last 2 yrs and this yr the made the lottery! My daughter whom I cant get to hunt in winter due to it being cold. She thinks fishing is boring because I just cant load the boat with fish. Teenage yrs what can I say. Both kids didn't know I have been putting them in the lottery , I didn't want to have to let them down if the didn't get drawn. Well this year when I checked the mail to my surprise both got drawn. When I got back in the truck I turned around and told them both the good news. I was waiting for her reaction and to my surprise , she yelled with excitement!!"REALLY REALLY I GET TO TURKEY HUNT!!" Made me tear-up with happiness. My son was also thrilled!. But, to see my daughter have that reaction after yrs of saying no dad I don't want to go, that made my day.  I got to taker her to Academy in Alexandria and buy her camo,face mask, etc. She was so excited, was a blast for me and her both.
She has been practicing with a youth model mossburg 20 gauge in the back yard at turkey targets and she is doing really well at 30yards. I have to get her a full choke tube for it. I know a "turkey" choke would be better butttttt I just don't know how much she will use it,and with the cost of those I may wait and see. My son shoots a 12 gauge like me.  Please pray for both of my kids, I hope the good lord blesses my kids with a turkey each.  Heck , me to I have been trying for couple years now and I'm still a goose egg, big ol 0. Man do I love it, MAN DO I LOVE IT and I have not even got me a bird yet. Ill give up my whole season just to see them get there first turkey! Thanks guys for allowing me to post , God bless and happy hunting!

Ill keep you posted!! This just might open the door for us to spend more time as a whole family in the outdoors!!

hookhntr

You got a prayer goin up brother. Hopefully itll be a succesfull hunt for yall but more importantly itll be a memory for all of yall that will never be forgot.

MDbowman

While I definitely wish your family success, don't make it all about KILLING a turkey. You can have a great hunt with your kids without walking out with a bird!! All the sweeter if you do.  Good luck to you all!!

bird

Quote from: MDbowman on March 07, 2012, 08:04:52 AM
While I definitely wish your family success, don't make it all about KILLING a turkey. You can have a great hunt with your kids without walking out with a bird!! All the sweeter if you do.  Good luck to you all!!

X2  :jesus-cross:

archery1

Quote from: MDbowman on March 07, 2012, 08:04:52 AM

:icon_thumright:
Take a kid hunting

Eric Gregg

It was years before I killed my first deer, and still waiting to kill my first gobbler.
I know the anticipation. But, for all of the deer that I have killed, nothing will ever replace the time I had with my step dad out there in the woods.
Best wishes this year, and hope the time out there spent together is memorable.

sugarray

Prayers up for a safe hunt and blessings of harvesting 2 turkeys!!

:bible:

redarrow

Prayers to you and yours my Brother. Draw them little ones close,and when you think you have drawn them close enough,hug em a bit more. :cross2: :cross2: :cross2:. Keep us up to date on how things are going. After all we are family here.

bbcoach

My Prayer for the three of you is this: I hope a Longbeard walks to within 5 feet of your setup Spittin and Drummin  the entire way and turns loose the most Thunderous Ear Shattering Gobble you three can imagine.  A Gobble so exhilerating that all three of you almost wet your pants from the excitement.  If you kill him fine but Turkey hunting is about spending time with our family and friends enjoying God's gifts.  If the above scenerio plays out, your son and daughter won't ever roll over and go back to sleep when the alarm goes off at 4 am.  They'll be hooked for life and kill many birds in the days ahead.  God Bless all three of you this Spring and Beyond.

mikejd

Bbcoach you gave me the chills with that one. Anyway best to you and your family on a safe and happy hunt. Knockem dead.

catdaddy

handcannon

I'll send a prayer your way for a successful hunt. Just make sure to make it an enjoyable one first. If they say they are ready to go, don't push them to stay because it will burn them out and they won't want to return again.

twinters

Prayers sent out from here in Alabama,and you mentioned giving up your whole season,I promise brother if you are spending time with your children,you have not given up anything.This will be something they will remember for the rest of there life.good luck and GOD BLESS

coyotetrpr

Best of luck to you guys and gal. I understand your excitement and hope that you all have the season of a lifetime. :happy0064:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

gatortrax35

Thanks guys for all your prayers!!! Getting closer! Just wish these dang gobblers in louisiana would get cranked up and gobble.