North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Smart or Stupid?

Started by CASH, March 06, 2012, 03:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think turkeys are smart or stupid?

Yes, I think they're smart
20 (34.5%)
No, I think they're stupid
38 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 55

CASH

I heard a guy on the radio this morning.  He has an outdoor tv show and is fairly well known around here.  I'm not going to give his name, but he was answering turkey hunting questions on the show this morning.  A couple things made me laugh and some I agreed with. 

The first question he was asked about turkey hunting is what the biggest mistake a turkey hunter makes.

He answered that most turkey hunters think a turkey is stupid.  But they're wrong, he said turkeys are VERY intelligent.  I chuckled at this, because I believe turkeys are stupid.  I think they appear smart because of their strong survival instincts.

What's your opinion?
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

stinkpickle

I prefer to think of them as simple-minded and stubborn. 

Ol'Mossy

I don't think they're stupid, if they were everybody would kill one  :gobble:

runngun

I think they are like people, you have some dumb ones and some that are smart. And fortunately for us some that thought they WERE smart!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I think most turkey hunters are dumb. 

Turkeys are just keenly aware of their surroundings and have acute survival instincts.

CASH

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 06, 2012, 03:20:49 PM

Turkeys are just keenly aware of their surroundings and have acute survival instincts.

Well said
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Hognutz

Anything with a brain the size of a pea is not going to be a candidate for Mensa. I believe that they are on the dumb side with better than average eyesight, and great survival instincts, as do most animals that get hunted by humans.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

WildTigerTrout

I think turkeys have sharply honed instincts but I would not call them smart. They cannot reason away problems.  Sometimes turkey hunters think they can though. :lol:  IMO wild turkeys go thru their entire life scared of everything and curiosity does not enter their mind. If something does not look right they are GONE and I mean like RIGHT NOW! :newmascot:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TauntoHawk

As a newbie hunter I often said "I got outsmarted" but since then I have come to realize that its more of "I out smarted myself" with turkeys. Turkeys don't plot, plan, or decipher calls as hunters.

They are simply the most Paranoid, moody, and unpredictable game animal. Like taxes there's an exception to every rule in the turkey woods.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gooserbat

Me thinks they have eyesight and hearing we as humans can't understand, but they are so dumb they can't reason so they are scared to death of every thing.  If something goes wrong their solution to every problem is to putt and run.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

If I had to choose between them being smart or stupid I'd go with stupid without a doubt.   Many things I've witnessed confirms this in my opinion.   Come to a hog wire fence and walk back and forth when you have wings, try to mate with a plastic or blow-up doll, although some people do this,  watch your buddy get his brains blown out then beat him up when the shooter is still there and there are many more examples.   Actions of stupid or smart?

They are programmed to survive and breed, they react instead of process.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

neal

Quote from: CASH on March 06, 2012, 03:31:48 PM

Well said
x2
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

turkey_slayer

Turkeys are stupid. People make em out to be some super smart animal that's tough to kill. Most people overthink it and that's what makes em hard to kill.

deadhead

just remember they are big chickens.

redleg06

Agreed. 

I think for the most part, turkey just walk around doing what turkey's do and some people who cant figure out why they do certain things, write them off as be"intellegent".