OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Smart or Stupid?

Started by CASH, March 06, 2012, 03:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think turkeys are smart or stupid?

Yes, I think they're smart
20 (34.5%)
No, I think they're stupid
38 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Lunchbox

Very dumb animals with very strong instincts.

WillowRidgeCalls

There is one bit difference betweem turkeys and people. They/we learn to live and servive in their/our surrounding. I would have to lean toward people being the dumber ones, because it takes us longer to learn what we need to, to survive than it takes a turkey.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

MCase

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 06, 2012, 03:49:07 PM
Me thinks they have eyesight and hearing we as humans can't understand, but they are so dumb they can't reason so they are scared to death of every thing.  If something goes wrong their solution to every problem is to putt and run.
Agree!

chatterbox

Turkey Trot

I think that VaTurkStomper said it correctly.

They don't even have eyesight that is as good as a human's (in most respects).  Turkeys have eyes on the side of their head, not frontal, binocular vision.  They have different rods and cones internally.  They have to turn their heads to see an object with both eyes.

But they have excellent peripheral vision and can see movement very well.  If they come in quietly and see you moving, you are licked. They also apparently hear pretty well, it is hard to slip up on them in most circumstances.  If they are strutting or fighting they are not paying as much attention to surroundings, and you can get closer--until one (perhaps a spectator) sees you moving or hears you.  

What makes it hard on the hunter is that the natural course is for the hen to come to him.  The hunter that does not want to bushwhack is therefore largely relegated to trying to reverse nature and get the tom to come to him.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

hoyt

I don't think they are smart, just very wild...at least the one's I hunt are anyway.

sippy cup

Ive always heard when it rains they will look up and drown themselvesand then you see how they approach a setup or just wont come at all so I really don't know either way
beware of longdale legend

Flydown

I'm pretty dumb myself but when somebody is in my house I can pretty much pinpoint their location and tell if their supposed to be there or not. I have said this before, if you want to kill a turkey, you have to be a turkey because a turkey is just a turkey surviving his surroundings, just like you and me!

TRKYHTR

3X X 4Y + 7 = . Lets see if them turkeys can figure that one out.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

zeus26

Dumb, along with paranoid... bordering on neurotic. 

Remember: what we call a "fun past time" and "sport," he calls "survival."

Wingbone

Quote from: Hognutz on March 06, 2012, 03:42:34 PM
Anything with a brain the size of a pea is not going to be a candidate for Mensa. I believe that they are on the dumb side with better than average eyesight, and great survival instincts, as do most animals that get hunted by humans.

Agreed!
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Gobble!

Dumb but smart enough to want to live

Kylongspur88

I would not copy his home work, but I think that the longer one lives the stronger their instincts get.  

twinters

I have ran into lots of turkeys over the years that just plain whipped me,that being said if the tables were turned and he came to my house where I live and tried to kill me I do believe (even if I were stupid ) I could get away. Turkeys are very stupid and GUESSWHO said it best,you shoot my buddy im outta there,as for the blow up doll,well that's just plain funny.

Shotgun

Dumb I reckon...If they were smart they would be doing the shooting not us.