OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My blood is PUMPING now!!!!

Started by turkeybow, February 22, 2011, 07:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeybow

Well I got off work right around turkey seeing time so I decided I would check a few fields.  Rode by one that I haven't got permission for but I know the guy pretty good but no birds.  I decided to see if the birds that are behind the house from time to time were in the main pasture they roam.  Well I was at the tail end of it and my hopes were sinking low.  Right as I was about to enter the woods something caught my eyes..............a HUGE flock of birds!!!!  They were just on the other side of some trees that were in the middle of the pasture.  So I stopped and threw up the binoculars looking at what I could see and trying to count how many there were.  The hens were being very vocal which really got me going.  Having to look through the trees made it hard but suddenly something else caught my eye up against one of the trees I was looking through...........a tail fan  ???  So I started the truck up to move some so I could see and SURE ENOUGH..............a BOSS tom strutting his stuff  :o  After watching him a bit I decided to finally try and count all the birds.  Before I could count them all I got a GOBBLE and this really caused my blood to PUMP!!!!  I finally got them all counted and there was a total of 52 birds and at least 4 toms with one strutting.  I decided to hang around for fly up time and they started pitching up in the tree line that was in between us only 60yds away!  It all came to an end when one of the neighbors walked out to see if I was ok or if I needed any help.  The birds scattered as he came walking down the road in an orange shirt and talking.  I hated it had to end that way but it sure was nice to know that some people are still courteous enough to make certain your not in any trouble.  Things are starting to start up here in East Tennessee!!   :icon_thumright:

Come on SPRING  :turkey2:

Here are a few of the pics I was able to get of some birds after they flew up.  I wasn't able to get any pics of the strutter in the field as the tree was in the way most of the time.

This one is a little hard to see but the bird is in the center.

"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

mossybird

Heck yeah bro! I saw 2 strutters today driving down an old dirt road.

PANYHunter

Nice.  The season can't get started soon enough :turkey2: :turkey2:

turkey slayer

Sounds like you got a great show  :popcorn:

OLE RASPY

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

HARDCORE

Got it pretty bad myself, going tomorrow to check cam pics and do a little recon.

March 15th cant get here soon enough!  :z-guntootsmiley:

HC

Woodsman4God

Nice picks, that would sure get me going

joshua

Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

TnHunter

Been seeing a few myself, I'm so ready.
Life is good today

Chester

northwoodshntr

Nice pic's...You guys must be getting close to your openers. I tried a scouting run 2 days ago but the back/logging roads are still too snowy and icey to try right now but my season doesn't start 'til April 18.   Good luck my southern brothers :boon:

RutnNStrutn

Always exciting to see that many birds!!

FttFttVroom!

Man you got me wanting to get out there and look already.....and it's still 42 days away :angry9:

turkeybow

Quote from: northwoodshntr on February 23, 2011, 03:35:20 PM
Nice pic's...You guys must be getting close to your openers. I tried a scouting run 2 days ago but the back/logging roads are still too snowy and icey to try right now but my season doesn't start 'til April 18.   Good luck my southern brothers :boon:

I wish it was close to our opener.  We have to wait until April 2 here in Tennessee
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold