turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Spur Display

Started by GSLAM95, March 05, 2012, 01:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSLAM95

I posted this on another forum and thought I would share it over here as well.  There were a lot of hrs put into both hunting and putting this together. 
After cleaning up my spurs I would always throw them in a drawer until I thought I would come up with some way of displaying them.*
Well last week has been that time to get something done with them.  I cut 6' lengths of Suede lace, threaded some wooden beads on in-between each spur and I am using them for window trim. ;D
I had some with the skin & scales still on so I stripped that after letting them soak in hot water with Dawn soap for a couple of days, I wire wheeled the bone with my die grinder and painted them with a hammer tone copper paint, buffed the spur and added boiled linseed oil to the spur itself like I do all of them after normal cleaning.  I only did one strand of 50 like that and left the other strands natural.

The lighting in the man cave is bad but here is the general idea..

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

archery1

wow
what a collection!!!!!!!!
:icon_thumright:
Take a kid hunting

vaturkey

Vaturkey

pshelnutt

shuey270

Thats alot of turkey sandwiches!

Basser69

Crappiepro

Nice collection of spurs! I like what you ya did with them too!

remmy1187

That is alot of dead birds there, awesome!!!

K9Doc

What's the boiled linseed oil used for?  Mine all look almost exactyly like your, but I dont use any linseed oil.  Gimme some tips!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

schuylkillspur

Thats a lot of spurs. I had a similar idea,  But I like the way you put the beads between the spurs. Nice
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Gobble!

holy crap thats a pile of dead birds  :icon_thumright:

mikejd

Wow, I dont think frank perdue killed that many turkeys. lol. nice work and nice collection.

GSLAM95

Quote from: K9Doc on March 05, 2012, 04:43:59 PM
What's the boiled linseed oil used for?  Mine all look almost exactyly like your, but I dont use any linseed oil.  Gimme some tips!

If you have ever had the spur itself dry out and get a chalked look to it applying a coat or two of boiled linseed oil will usually bring it back to life and darken it back up.
I now strip my spurs to the bone, boil them until the cap will easily pop off, mix high strength peroxide pool shock and borax into a paste and coat the spur, let it set a week or two, rinse and scrape mixture off, let dry over night, glue spur cap back on and put 1 coat of boiled linseed oil on spur cap only and let dry.  I then take a hand towel usually to simply buff to a nice finish.
Once the above is done they will look the same for years to come as the boiled linseed oil protects them from what I call chalking/peeling.  Hope this helps....Good luck chasing those long beards this year..

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

cannonball

Timber Chicken